Junta To Splurge On Footie Fest

robaus

Junta to splurge on footie fest

Football fans are likely to be able to watch all 64 World Cup matches on free-to-air TV after the military junta intervened in a dispute over broadcast rights.

• Published: 12/06/2014 at 06:04 AM

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) signalled Wednesday it wanted the public to be able to watch the games for free under its policy to "return happiness" to the country.

http://www.bangkokpo...-on-footie-fest

...sounds pretty "populist" to me! ... :hmmm:

Smart move....IMHO

They have a huge task ahead of them.... A "populist" treat that costs the Country "peanuts".... good option

Besides..it is not going to cost the Country anywhere near some of the other attempts of previous Governments

...The far can Rice pledging fiasco comes to mind....

Cheers DS :beer:

Bread and circus... treat the people like children and hope they don't notice that they are getting robbed blind by the wealthy few who pull the strings. But hey, good on the generals for at least doing something that people will enjoy! I can only imagine that the wagering types will be highly energized by being able to see the games on TV, there must be a few very pleased bookies around shouting GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL! with this outcome... kind of like after 2006 when the gov't lottery was declared illegal and the numbers games went back underground to their relieved owners. Wait, could it be that... oh nevermind.

YimSiam

Right - more Thai than a bowl of hot noodle soup! More Thai than the Buddha! More Thai than Preah Vihear! More Thai than... well, my examples are not really working out - but yes, totally right, every government has been like that. I think it's best though when the people choose to be exploited, rather than forced into it. Probably an academic distinction in the long run.

The part of my thinking that I should excise is: believing that anything else is possible.

I think it's best though when the people choose to be exploited, rather than forced into it

Everone feels suffering so its only fair that they say who inflicts the pain.

Elections are to democracy what competition is to business. Better deal for the citizen / customer.