Police United Chief Sumrit Reveals Sweaty Details Behind Reading Coup

Flashermac

Police United president Sumrit Bunditkrisada said his passion for football was the key factor in his buying cash-strapped English club Reading.

Facing stiff competition from several groups interested in taking control of the second-tier English club, Sumrit, who led a consortium consisting of Indian and Malaysian businessmen, said his love of the game helped him win over Royals' chairman Sir John Madejski.

"Last week, I had to visit England for business but my legal team advised me to grab the chance to open talks with Reading. There were as many as six groups making offers to buy the club, especially an American group called Phoenix, which offered the best price.

"However, something that happened before we started the negotiations persuaded Sir John to accept our offer. I had a chance to join the Reading team during the training. So, still wearing my business suit, I took part in a five-a-side session for around an hour.

"The chairman happened to see me dripping with sweat and then called me in to discuss the deal with him personally, while other groups conducted negotiations with the club's lawyers.

"We talked for about four or five hours to get everything ironed out. He chose me probably because I am a young person who loves the game and really wants to develop the club with no strings attached," Sumrit told sports daily Siamsport.

Sumrit, who made his fortune in the insurance business, mentioned plans to send young players from his Thai club to train at Reading for six months, starting with midfielder Poklao Anan, who has already obtained a visa for his England on July 1.

"Some said that if Poklao stayed with us he would gain more experience from playing week in week out. But I think he's still not good in terms of fitness. A stint at Reading will definitely help him improve in that aspect."

Sumrit's takeover of Reading, which was reportedly worth of 35 million pounds, means the Royals become the second Thai-owned English club after Premier League newcomers Leicester, who are owned by the King Power Group.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Police-United-chief-Sumrit-reveals-sweaty-details--30236405.html