More Youngsters Run Up Huge Phone Bills Playing Cookie Run

Flashermac

In the latest case of youngsters unwittingly running up bills while playing games on mobile phones, AIS has agreed to waive nearly Bt600,000 racked up by an 18-year-old boy in Mae Sot, Tak province.

The boy did not realise he was spending real money when he bought items while playing the popular Cookie Run game. :surprised:

Atchara Jaikrua, who spent many sleepless nights after receiving a phone bill worth Bt596,398 thanks to her son's favourite pastime, said she was relieved to hear that the phone service operator had decided to waive the bill on grounds that she did not know it.

Atchara, who works at a drinks shop, paid her actual bill worth Bt614.46 and decided to cancel the number. She also called on other parents to beware about allowing their kids to use post-paid phones.

Similarly, a resident in Phetchaburi's Ban Lad district was sent a bill of Bt163,405 after her eight-year-old son reportedly bought items to advance in the Cookie Run game through her phone. Somthawil Khiewsa-art said the phone service operator had told her to pay the first instalment of Bt48,000 soon, adding she did not know what to do. She went on to say that her son had played the game for months without any problems and then started buying items, not knowing that they cost money.

Another parent in Udon Thani's Muang district claimed his child had also unwittingly racked up a bill of Bt70,495 on his phone. Telewiz Udon Thani executive Sawat Theerattananukulchai said he had discussed this case with AIS and the telecom operator had agreed to check if the bill stemmed from the user's ignorance. And if so, AIS would cover the expense.

http://www.nationmul...o-30237047.html

post-98-0-58369700-1403680324_thumb.jpg

The Post says the kid had played for four days and thought he could pay for the items with his accumulated points (as in some games). Instead, the phone service demanded real money. The mother is ticked off because she had not been warned when the phone charge went over the limit she had set of 2,000 baht per month!

Can you say scam?

http://www.bangkokpo...ll-on-mum-phone

Hi,

Lots of this going on. When I was in the UK 2 years back, my business partner bought SIM card for his phone with a data plan (i.e. a certain amount of Mb of data for free). So, that evening he called his Mom using Skype for about 10 min only to find out all the money on the card had run out. It was all used up by data charges as the Internet part of the card didn't get activated until 24hrs *after* the phone calls part. Nobody had told him that bit of course.

Sanuk!

Here in the glorious people's republic, what they do, is they give you a service and you can opt out if you want to.

So if you don't use your phone much, you can often find out later, some significant money has been eaten.

I've been known to storm into the provider's customer service centre and point at the offending service on my phone, whilst clearly serenading the staff with "Bor ow, bor ow!" (Don't want, don't want).

The staff are very good, they show me how to delete the service and wonder why anyone wouldn't want the latest marketing mastubatory method of ripping the customer off...