The Right To Be Forgotten

When Google had their "camera car" filming the streets and houses in Germany, the Germans screamed

and Google was forced to remove houses of people that did not want to be part of that Google project, so

no surprise here...

While they were filming the houses in all the countries they visited, they were also hacking into residents Wi-Fi networks and gathering as much information on them as possible.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds a little but like Thai fantasy land where the truth is none of anyone's business.

If you need to know something, Nanny will tell you.

"For the Record" is a very legitimate and useful tool.

Nobody should be aided and abetted by public policy that allows them to erase and start over.

That's just a fantasy unless you live in a place where actions have no consequences.

While they were filming the houses in all the countries they visited, they were also hacking into residents Wi-Fi networks and gathering as much information on them as possible.

And, and, and ... I heard they raided the refrigerators of unsuspecting Germans and stealthily swiped their schnitzel.

If some minx wants to strip in front of an open window in her private residence as I ride my bicycle to school on the public road, it's not a private affair.

In some countries . . . you still could be arrested. The naked lady in window is on private property.

There is way too much information provided by Google.

Each web site that I have found with my personal information I have asked to take down. Each of these web sites has a "privacy" policy.

And all I have contacted have taken my personal name down.

Just those sites if you Google you personal name. The ones that then try to later sell more information.

Such as white pages.com.

Each has a "privacy" policy where one can request that name be removed.

White Pages did remove my name.

Then about 6 months later I do a check and White Pages added a "SR" next to my name and all the information came back.

So I had to request that my name with the "SR" be deleted/removed also. There is no senior or junior with my name and never has been.

These basteds are quite tricky.

In some countries . . . you still could be arrested. The naked lady in window is on private property.

I don't believe this. How has the bicyclist done anything wrong? Although I must admit parts of Europe have some very odd laws. I know a never-been-married German guy paying child support for a child that is not his and everyone, even the court knows who the biological father is.

Back to "freedom to be forgotten." There is no such phenomenon. The world didn't start with the Internet. How can you purge your name from the police blotter in the newspapers circa 1970? Those papers still exist as public documents.

I had a friend - now deceased - who had problems when his financial records got mixed with someone else who had almost the same name. (Same first and last names, same middle initial - but different middle names.) My friend was a WWII veteran, a retired Army Reserve colonel. The other guy was less than half his age and often got into trouble. As a result, my friend was getting credit cards cancelled and applications for new ones rejected! He eventually got it all straightened out, but it took him several years.

The internet has made these screw ups more likely to happen. :(

Back to "freedom to be forgotten." There is no such phenomenon. The world didn't start with the Internet. How can you purge your name from the police blotter in the newspapers circa 1970? Those papers still exist as public documents.

Yes, this is the toughest one for me to get removed/deleted.

My brother dies, my sister in law writes an obituary. Printed in local hick newspaper, but there is my name on the top of the Google list - when I type my name into Google. Always number one on Google list. I have asked the newspaper to remove my name. Newspaper refuses unless I get a letter from my sister in law requesting so. Which I will do.

And to make matters worser - there is a picture of my dead brother - on the top of same Google search - when I search my name. The picture was of course, when he was alive - an older picture. Not a picture of the dead body. But it potentially won't be long before Google will post a picture of the actual dead person in the casket or a picture of the cremated urn !

Every single historical document ever published throughout the history of mankind would need to be scrubbed in order for this notion to take hold. The Internet is only a few decades old.

What if I want to eliminate any mention of my great-great grandfather who was a horse thief and cattle rustler? Do I have that right? Moreover, Google is but one of many hundred providers of essentially the same service. It's unenforceable and the amount of data collected is enormous. It's one thing to collect and file, it's another thing to go back in and edit every time Gretchen has a fight with her husband and wants her public information to be anonymous. Just because it can be found on Google doesn't mean they collected it (i.e. online newspapers or public records notices)

I'm sure governments have far more information about their citizens than Goggle does.