Where For Art Thou ?

Kiwi

Being a pedantic prick, as is my right, may I just point out that "where for art" does not mean "where are you from" but more like "why"

When Shakespeare used "Romeo, Romeo where for art Thou Romeo" the question was not Where are you but "Why are you?" as in a Montague whereas Juliet was from the Capulet clan, Why do you have to be from the opposition.

This story was retold in the 1950's bernstein musical West Side story but this time between Irish Catholics and Jewish immigrants to the Lower East side of Manhattan in the stage play later to become Jets (white Americans) and Jets (Peurto Rican immigrants) in the Wise and Robbins in the 1961 big screen production

Yes, I admit I had a rather strict education in a Catholic School, where Religious Education, Shakespeare and Latin was forced fed me, whereas I had a penchant for Physics Maths and Chemistry. Alas later on in life I realise I was right to ignore religion the classics and latin and concentrate on the subjects which put a roof over my head and rice in the bowl. Rice in the bowl, typical Asian saying, I need a decent Steak washed down with a couple of large beers.

OK to answer the question based on its intended meaning

Originally From North West England

Had opportunity to work / travel to S.E. Asia when in my mid 20's

26 Years Later still in S.E.Asia

Even though I have thought of Thailand as home for the past 23+ years I am not always there. Working in Contract Engineering one tends to gravitate towards where the work is rather than wait for it to come to oneself, currently I am getting "Back Home" 3-4 times a year which is OK since working in a Neighbouring country (which is a lot cheaper)

I don't know what percentile of Thai based foreigners are Contract Engineers, in my eyes it is many since we work globally and I always meet 2-3 guys who live in Thailand wherever I go to work but maybe those are the type of expats I choose to hang out with.

Well, being a complete dick myself, known almost as well for my pedantry as for my alcoholism, I have to point out that the words uttered in Act 2, Scene 2 of Romeo and Juliet are, properly, 'wherefore art thou' (meaning 'why are you'). Now so obsolete as to be only used by old twats such as myself, 'wherefore' is indeed a compound of 'where + for', but since 1200 has been spelled as a single word with the final 'e'.

So stick that in your pipes and smoke it, lads. :applause:

jack :help:

• Like 1

Well, being a complete dick myself, known almost as well for my pedantry as for my alcoholism, I have to point out that the words uttered in Act 2, Scene 2 of Romeo and Juliet are, properly, 'wherefore art thou' (meaning 'why are you'). Now so obsolete as to be only used by old twats such as myself, 'wherefore' is indeed a compound of 'where + for', but since 1200 has been spelled as a single word with the final 'e'.

So stick that in your pipes and smoke it, lads. :applause:

jack :help:

Read post 11 in this thread and I said very much similar (as in why are you meaning) am I considered a pedantic old twat such as oneself? I will wear this badge of comparison with pride.

Kong