Malaysian Mh17 Ams To Kul 777 Suspected Shot Down Over Ukraine

radioman

According to Dutch media more and more Dutch people support sending in the Dutch military to deal with the rebels holding the bodies of the victims "hostage" on a railway car. Basically the rebels refuse to turn the bodies over! Normally the Dutch are a peaceful people, but the rebels just might push it.

Also:

• Like 2

<< The US embassy in Kiev issued a statement on Sunday stating that, "Flight MH17 was likely downed by a SA-11 surface-to-air missile from separatist-controlled territory in eastern Ukraine."

The statement goes on to claim that less than five days before the crash, "Russia sent a convoy of military equipment with up to 150 vehicles, including tanks, armored personnel carriers, artillery, and multiple rocket launchers" to rebels in eastern Ukraine.

Moscow has denied any involvement. >>

https://news.vice.com/article/mh17-crash-site-reportedly-looted-by-rebels

<<I think you would also be overcome by hypoxia at that altitude and pass out within about 15 seconds due to lack of oxygen. >>

This has always baffled me, as I can like many people hold my breath for longer than this, not that it would do me any good

Hmm. Good point. I think if you hold your breath, the oxygen already in your blood stays there giving you more time before you pass out. If, however, you start breathing in air with insufficient oxygen, any oxygen remaining in your blood and cells is quickly exhaled and removed and not replaced with new oxygen so you pass out quicker.

The funny thing about hypoxia is that when breathing in air with insufficient oxygen (ie it's mainly nitrogen) you experience no sense of suffocation. You just gently pass out and die within a short space of time. Which apparently actually makes it useful as a humane way of executing people. There was a case recently in the USA where they ran out of sodium thiopental, one of the 3 drugs used in executions, so they tried a new combination of drugs which didn't work properly and the prisoner regained consciousness 20 minutes after the drugs had been administered. Some executions have now been put on hold there while they figure out what to do.

If however, you just get a person to breath in pure nitrogen from a cylinder via a mask, you are essentially despatching them via hypoxia in under a minute. (not that I'm for the death penalty).

Anyhow, with the rapid decompression of the aircraft at 33,000 feet, I would imagine you wouldn't be able to hold your breath. All the air in your lungs at higher cabin pressure would be forced out. Hypoxia might have been a mixed blessing.

"But spy satellites orbit the Earth and therefore don't offer persistent, hovering surveillance the way drones do. The U.S. does not appear to have captured an image of the missile being fired, officials say, although sensors detected the launch and analysts were able to determine the trajectory.

Had an imagery sensor on a low orbiting satellite captured the launch, it could have produced intelligence-rich photos of plumes of smoke and the launch vehicle, said David Deptula, a retired Air Force general and expert on intelligence systems.

A company called Skybox Imaging has been able to shoot short bursts of full motion video from its satellites, so presumably the military also has that capability."

LINK

• 2 weeks later...