What Are You Paying For A Beer These Days?

bust

I'm in Scotland right now. :drunk: Pint of decent lager's about 3 pounds and 50 pence, equals 190 baht. Cheaper in a spit and sawdust fight pub, but then you get your face smashed in. :doah:

First pint I ever drank in a pub cost me 29 pence (16 baht!). It was a college bar (thus the ale prices would've been subsidized and cheaper than a regular boozer) in England when I was about 16. Late 1970s. First of a million kisses, that bastard. :beer:

jack :help:

• Like 1

Welcome Back FJ

I never realised that formation drinking had been adopted as a commonwealth games sport, but maybe like the Olympics they allow the host nation to have a guest sport.

My first Pint was 26 Pence back in 1977 as a 13 year old whippet, "Deaf Peggy" the landlady didn't give a flying fark about underage back then, spit and sawdust pub "Bottom Bridge" There is a Bridge on one of the main roads in my home town over the Bridgewater Canal (Th'Cut to us Northerners) Bottom of the Bridge was the Bridge inn aka Th'Bottom Bridge and on the other side at a higher elevation next to BICC Cable works was the Bridgewater Hotel aka Th'Op Bridge", I had to wait till 1979 as a 15 year old before I could get served in Th'Op Bridge.

It would have been even cheaper at Th'Miners Club, Labour Club or the Allotment Society but since I was underage never had a membership card.

Amazing that over 35 years later I am paying less for a Pint of Bia in Vietnam circa 2014 than I was paying in 1977 back in grim Northern England as a school kid who used to run the single cigs mafia on backseat upstairs of the school bus to finance my lifestyle, Oh the innocence of youth.

• Like 1

A big bottle of Singha or Amarat was 12 baht in the mid 1970s. Mekhong was cheaper, so most folks drank that. Mekhong came in three sizes - baen, kahk, khuat. But Mekhong was for posh folks. You could buy a bottle of the local brews for 4 baht! I asked to try one upcountry (Lao Song Kwae). The restaurant owner refused, "No archan, that is for workers. It might kill you".

I remember paying 25 baht for a beer in the Patpong go-go bars. :p

Bottled Beer either Bia Ha Noi or Bia Sai Gon 15,000 VND for a 450 ml bottle thats approx 22.5 THB state controlled price. Both a decent drop 4.2% proof

My trip to Hanoi - the small hotel restaurant/bar - had only Heineken or 333. Stored in a fridge - just slightly cooler then warm.

In the late 80s, in a Roppongi dance club called Gas Panic, a single can of lukewarm Budweiser 330 ml. was 1,000 yen ($10 or 315 baht), It was the cheapest thing on the menu so the best option was to get tanked before going in.

Today I prefer an ice-cold large Leo 650 ml (I think) at 55 baht from my neighborhood corner beer wench. She's about 65 and doesn't dance quite like those ã‚‚ãŽãŸã¦ イエローキャブ, but her bright red lips are moist and her one lazy eye occasionally droops far enough southward as to resemble a wink. Suits me nicely.

• Like 1

Remember Kloster beer? No more when Heineken became available. Many years ago, I was in a Cebu nightclub and got drunk drinking 6-7 beers for the

cost of less than $1.50....Gee!

Yes, beer during Happy Hour at Patpong was cheap (or at least reasonable) in the early 80s.