Olives

The_Munchmaster

I like olives and eat them occasionally, usually when they are bar snacks. Recently at the lobby bar in The Marriott Dead Sea the bar staff have been giving me a small bowl of olives with my drink, usually about 6-8 olives in the bowl. I've always known they were meant to be good for you but was just reading that "experts" recommend eating about 7 olives a day. So just wondering if anyone does this and whether they have noticed any health benefits?

Green and black in Makro everywhere. Good Med food with gouda and olive oil. Not so strange up here in the sticks.

I like them, too. Odd that Euro olives don't slap on a 200% tax but a simple piece of (Indian) nan or (Mexican) tortilla is outrageous.

Anyway back to olives -- available everywhere. I like to make a plate of olives and cheese when a big game comes on.

If you've ever lived in a big city in the west, and wanted to eat foreign food, you would likely pay a premium.

Here, it's a pisstake. You get tired of it after a few months.

Olives are comparatively expensive here, though jars of them are available in any major grocery. Years ago, I used to buy olives for 20 baht a jar at the Wan Phra market at Wat Mahathat, next to the University of Fine Arts (Silpakorn), where I was then teaching. They were among the many airline items that were salvaged at the end of flights by Thais working at Don Muang Airport. I used to load up every week on cheap cheese for 10 to baht a package, plus the occasional bottle of French or German wine. Then in the 1990s, a new abbot decided that having a market in a royal temple was improper and kicked the market out. I was told the folks selling the airline items moved to Chatuchak, but Chatuchak is a long way for me to go just for cheap cheese and olives.

Ever tried a nice fresh olive right off the tree? Yummy. :)

They are not yummy at all, they would eat your teeth with their bitterness.

I went camping in Greece and set my tent under some trees one night and had olives dropping onto the tent all night. I tried one that had dropped off and it tasted fecking awful.

They undergo a process for months and months to get rid of the bitterness, even commercially. The best ones take nine months to prepare.