What Is The Latest Book That You Have Read?

cavanami

Vulture Peak - I think the latest in the John Burdett Bangkok 8 series. I really enjoyed and was impressed by the first book, a great blend of culture clash, humor, Bangkok, and a little bit of thriller or detective mystery - whatever you call the genre. The plots are weak, ridiculous, formulaic - just excuses for putting down the various ruminations, cultural comments, and insights into the Bangkok/farang vortex, etc - but worth it, no matter whether the plot fails to grip.

The first, highly recommended - and decreasingly so afterwards, as the series lingers on. Not a lot of new stuff in this one, but hey, that's the case with all these series, generally. At least this author deals with topics I really love, in an informed, funny - if ludicrous at times - way.

YimSiam

• 2 weeks later...

Killing Patton

***1/2

Good read!

Lots of history and well researched.

Exposed what a pompous ass the Brit General Montgomery was and how he almost farked up many attacks!

Also, Ike being just a politician. Ike was a general but was never in a battle...WTF!!

When things got tough, Patton was the go to guy who got it done. Patton called it on Russia, that they would be

a bigger threat the Germany ever was and how he would be OK to fight alongside the Germans against Russia!!!

• Like 1

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

In Born to Run, McDougall tracks down members of the reclusive Tarahumara Indian tribe in the Mexican Copper Canyons. After being repeatedly injured as a runner himself, McDougall marvels at the tribe's ability to run ultra distances (over 100 miles) at incredible speeds, without getting the routine injuries of most American runners. The book has received attention in the sporting world for McDougall's description of how he overcame injuries by modeling his running after the Tarahumara. He asserts that modern cushioned running shoes are a major cause of running injury, pointing to the thin sandals worn by Tarahumara runners, and the explosion of running-related injuries since the introduction of modern running shoes in 1972.

Excellent read

• Like 1

I will give Born to Run a read.

Way back when...I used to run but always had well cushioned shoes. One time I did run bare footed and ouch! never again!!

Maybe the thin cushion is OK :dunno:

You need to really ease in to barefoot running. I run since a couple of years on Vibram 5 fingers but had a nice and easy transition period.

Interestingly enough, I met a participant and his pacer (for the last 50 miles) of the Leadville 100 mile 1993 edition very recently, who raced with the Tarahumara and he placed 24th in under 25 hours which earned him the sliver buckle.

The next year they reversed roles.

Mortals, by Norman Rush. Not as good as his novel Mating, too much endless conversation and thinking about his wife, relationship bunk that I can't be bothered with (the PB hotel usually kicks me out at the conclusion of my usual 'relationship' length, which tends towards maximum one long-time...) But the guy writes good prose, is occasionally funny, and lots of thoughtful digressions, so I'll keep reading him.

You need to really ease in to barefoot running. I run since a couple of years on Vibram 5 fingers but had a nice and easy transition period.

Interestingly enough, I met a participant and his pacer (for the last 50 miles) of the Leadville 100 mile 1993 edition very recently, who raced with the Tarahumara and he placed 24th in under 25 hours which earned him the sliver buckle.

The next year they reversed roles.

Excellent read, about 75% thru it.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What If...

Written by a physicists.

Many different scenarios, like, what if all the people in the world gathered at one spot and then all jumped up

and landed at the same time, would the earth move or shake?

Or what if everyone in the world aimed a small laser at the moon, would it brighten? how much laser power would be required?

He answers with proof of math...

Interesting and a fun read.