What Is The Latest Book That You Have Read?

cavanami

I have been greatly enjoying thr series of books written by: Michael Connelly.

Harry Bosch is a police detective. Interesting and great reads!

Harry Bosch Series:

Books in published order:
The Black Echo (1992)
The Black Ice (1993)
The Concrete Blonde (1994)
The Last Coyote (1995)
Trunk Music (1997)
Angels Flight (1999)
A Darkness More Than Night (2001)
City Of Bones (2002)

Mickey Haller is a defense lawyer practicing the the LA area of the USA.

Mickey Haller Series:

Books in published order:
The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)
The Brass Verdict (2008) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Reversal (2010) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Fifth Witness (2011)
The Gods of Guilt (2013)
The Law Of Innocence (2020) (also featuring Harry Bosch)

These are just a few of the books in the series. Michael Connelly is a writing machine, very talented!!!

Michael Joseph Connelly (born July 21, 1956[1]) is an American author of detective novels and other crime fiction, notably those featuring LAPD Detective Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch and criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller. Connelly is the bestselling author of 31 novels and one work of non-fiction, with over 74 million copies of his books sold worldwide and translated into 40 foreign languages. His first novel, The Black Echo, won the Mystery Writers of America Edgar Award for Best First Novel in 1992. In 2002, Clint Eastwood directed and starred in the movie adaptation of Connelly's 1997 novel, Blood Work. In March 2011, the movie adaptation of Connelly's novel The Lincoln Lawyer starred Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller.[2] Connelly was the President of the Mystery Writers of America from 2003 to 2004.[3]

• 3 weeks later...

The Men Who Stare At Goats, Jon Ronson.  This one has been around for well over a decade now I think, a hardly believable account of the author's research - mainly interviews - into the military's efforts to engage in psychic warfare, remote viewing, and the title's killing of goats with the mind...  It is so out there that you can hardly believe it's true, and I haven't bothered to look into how true and accurate the book may be, or how relaible the interviewees, but there are some interesting storylines albeit by this point perhaps well-trodden paths (MK-Ultra in particular).  Links to Heaven's Gate and Branch Davidians quite amazing.  Thought I'd throw an entry into this thread, and there it is.  Saw the movie of this book, but that was in the midst of my drinking days and the memories are scant indeed - I believe George Clooney was involved, but perhaps that was just... a creation of my mind.

• 7 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 7:21 AM, cavanami said:

The Guardians

By:  John Grisham

In the small Florida town of Seabrook, a young lawyer named Keith Russo was shot dead at his desk as he worked late one night. The killer left no clues. There were no witnesses, no one with a motive. But the police soon came to suspect Quincy Miller, a young black man who was once a client of Russo’s. 

Quincy was tried, convicted, and sent to prison for life. For twenty-two years he languished in prison, maintaining his innocence.  But no one was listening.  He had no lawyer, no advocate on the outside. In desperation, he writes a letter to Guardian Ministries, a small nonprofit run by Cullen Post, a lawyer who is also an Episcopal minister.

Guardian accepts only a few innocence cases at a time.  Cullen Post travels the country fighting wrongful convictions and taking on clients forgotten by the system. With Quincy Miller, though, he gets far more than he bargained for. Powerful, ruthless people murdered Keith Russo, and they do not want Quincy Miller exonerated.

They killed one lawyer twenty-two years ago, and they will kill another without a second thought.

Good, solid story. Fast moving and very entertaining.

Gentlemen,

I would not have placed a major sum on a bet that Cavanami can read at all but I was wrong. After I am through with my favorite writers like Wilbur Smith et al I did not really have a clue where to look. Reading great books ( paper only ) is of utmost importance for me so I was heading for a crisis til I found Cavanami promoting a guy named John Grisham. What a fantastic writer. Currently buzy with A Time for Mercy, can´t wait to collapse on my sofa tonight and read what happens next. Always the English version, translation destroys the works.

8 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Gentlemen,

I would not have placed a major sum on a bet that Cavanami can read at all but I was wrong. After I am through with my favorite writers like Wilbur Smith et al I did not really have a clue where to look. Reading great books ( paper only ) is of utmost importance for me so I was heading for a crisis til I found Cavanami promoting a guy named John Grisham. What a fantastic writer. Currently buzy with A Time for Mercy, can´t wait to collapse on my sofa tonight and read what happens next. Always the English version, translation destroys the works.

When you finish try James Lee Burke.  He has a couple series and some independent books out.  Fantastic, descriptive writer.   Also available in paper.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lost Light (A Harry Bosch Novel, 9)

Michael Connelly

Fed up with the hypocrisy of the LAPD, Harry Bosch has resigned and is forced to find a new way of life. But the life of a retiree doesn't suit him. He has always devoted himself to justice, and he is still drawn toward protecting —or avenging — those whom the law has failed.

Excellent read! *****

• 1 month later...

Escape from Venezuela’s Deadliest Prison

by

In 2001 Natalie Welsh took her four-year-old daughter Nikita on the holiday of a lifetime to Venezuela. But Natalie was hiding a terrible secretin a moment of desperation she had agreed to smuggle a suitcase of cocaine for a one-off payment she hoped would change her life. Hopelessly naïve, and struggling with a drug addiction that left her barely capable of reason, Natalie had no idea of the danger she was facing. Caught by the Venezuelan authorities, Natalie was sentenced to ten years in a hellish prison system. In the blink of an eye, she entered a nightmare world, where guards were either too powerless or corrupt to control the escalating violence. This was a world of almost unimaginable horror, where murders, rapes, and even all-out gang warfare were carried out by the armed and powerful inmates. After six terrible years, and against impossible odds, Natalie became the first western woman to escape from a Venezuelan prison, in a death-defying flight through Colombia to freedom. Sentenced to Hell is the incredible story of how one terrible mistake can almost destroy a life, and how Natalie's love for her daughter saved her.

Good read! Don't plan on a happy ending...