Former Us Army Officer Dies Fighting In Ukraine

StoneSoup

The Only American Fighting for Ukraine Dies in Battle

Mark Gregory Paslawsky, the sole American fighting on the Ukrainian side of the war in the east of the country, died from injuries sustained in battle in the town of Ilovaysk on Tuesday.

Known by the codename "Franko," the 55-year-old investment banker was a Manhattan native, and had a slight limp and a pronounced New York accent, making him seem an unlikely candidate for a soldier in an eastern European war that has already claimed more than 2,000 lives.

the-only-american-fighting-for-ukraine-dies-in-battle-body-image-1408561464.jpg?resize=1000:*

Mark Paslawsky (second from right) with the men of his unit on guard duty at the television tower in Artyomovsk, Donetsk Region, in July.

This guy graduated from West Point in 1981 - three years after I did. 'Died fighting as a private in a Ukranian volunteer battalion.

I read recently about an American Volunteer Group that some vets are trying to form, to fight agaisnt ISIS in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Bottom line: The US has become so weak and disengaged on the world stage that individual American citizens are stepping up to try to fill the void.

Can't say that they are making rational choices, or wise decisions. But - I will say this: they aren't just "talking the talk" - they are indeed "walking the walk".

Cheers!

SS

• Like 1