Traditional Thai tattoos

coltlongbone

the time i had it done, about nine years ago it was not that easy as i did not speak thai yet. nowadays it is a lot easier. a famous temple where a lot of westerners got tattood is wat bang pa in nakhon pathom province, where luang por phen is residing. he is one of the most famous monks here in thailand, renowned for his magical powers. you have to find out though about the hygiene aspect, the last time i was there, about 4 years ago, it was done in the most unhygienic way possible, same needle, same ink for everyone. one guy after the other. i have heard that has changed, but i am not sure.

i am very sure that none of the tattoo masters would consider using modern equipment. this is a highly ritualised art where a protective entity is put into your body. before the tattooing there are several ceremonies the masters are performing and you have to do.

it depends on the particular monk if you can choose the style, even then he has a saying if you are allowed to get the design or not, some masters are choosing for you. be aware that this is not happy-happy smily-smily thailand, you'll meet a lot of gangsters and very shady characters while getting tattooed, the big mouth of some farang here on the boards would not be appreciated, also too much humility can easily get you in trouble there. don't go with your bar-girlfriend!

the best is when some guy who is known will bring you there.

also the the tatoos of moo pii's are of religious nature. tattooing in south east asia precedes buddhism, was adapted by buddhism. in the old days it was essential for a man to be tattooed. you can still see in rural burma that every man is tattooed, an untattooed man would have serious difficulties to find a wife.

one more thing - if you get tattooed - don't show the pain!

robert niro's style of tattos in cape fear are very distinct prison tattos. style varies from country to country. the most elaborate codes have been developed in russian prisons, every kind of tattoo there is a code for the crime and position in the hirarchy, from human toilet and whore to colblooded murderers and killers.

>it was done in the most unhygienic way possible, same needle, same ink for everyone.

>this is a highly ritualised art where a protective entity is put into your body

Well if you believe that a protective entity is put into your body then I guess you shouldn't worry about the hygene of the procedure. If you just like the designs then you should just get a talented Tattooist to do them for you.

i think you don't understand the concept here. thais do not just get tattoed for the designs, one of the main reasons are the spiritual meanings. a talented tattoo artist will not have the necessary training.

two completely different things.

right. only some of the animal motives are first printed with a wood block on the place of body, then tattooed. the pali script is done from memory. it is very important that no mistake is made. it takes years of training to become a ajarn sac. the famous ones have look sit's from all over the country and abroad too.

flyonzewall,

just wondering if you have a significant other. I have a few tattoos I had done in Japan but my wife hates them. From what I know most Thai women hate tattoos especially if they involve magic. What has been your experience with this? Also do you live in Nonthaburi? Someone posted a long time ago that is where they lived and I thought it was you. If so we will be neigbours soon.

my missus is from the village, she is cool with my tattoos. she does even prefer my magical tattoos over my decorative ones. she does not really understand why one would do tattoos without magic, the magical ones are very much part of her world. when we met i have had already most of my tattoos so that's OK. would love to have some japanese ink.

in the more educated societies here in thailand tattooing is absolutely frowned upon, you won't get a position in the civil service when you are tattooed. for that reason many people get these tattoos done in oil instead of ink to still be able to benefit from the powers. i have some friends who are tattooed from head to toe, but it is invisable.

significant other...maybe...we have already met even though you might not be able to connect my virtual existence to my real one... smile.gif

My friend just got back from LOS and while there he got a traditional tattoo from a monk. He went into a tattoo shop on Sukhumvit soi 10 and asked the guys there about traditional stuff. They offered to take him to Wat Bang Paht for 1000 baht and hook him up with a monk to tattoo him. He agreed and they drove about an hour and a half out of BKK. My friend is sleeved with tattoos done in hygenic shops...I don't think he would have went through with it if it was unhygenic. He said it was brutal...but only took about a half hour. Back of his neck...this cool magical design with a grid of (sanskrit?) characters. I'm going to try to find this place in Sept. Could anyone give me at least general directions on how to get there? Thanx....

Archived