Connections

No one knows who Hitler's paternal grandfather was. Also, as I remember it, Hitler's grandmother was Anna Schickelgruber. She later married a man named Hitler and had children with him. That's where the Hitler name came from, not from anybody's mother-in-law. The Rothschild claim is unlikely and unproven. Hitler's nephew's sons are still alive, and I wish that someone would test their DNA to see if what his paternal line really was. He almost certainly was not a Hitler.

As to the celebrity connections, if you dig back far enough, it is not hard to find someone famous. I remember seeing a chart that showed how Queen Elizabeth II was George Washington's cousin. Robert E. Lee is my 3rd cousin 6 times removed. I am also supposed to have Plantagenet ancestors. So? Doesn't make me rich. :(

Simple really, if complicated. "Removed" just means a different generation.

e.g. I said Robert E. Lee was my 3rd cousin six times removed. That means he was a 3rd cousin to my ggg grandfather. 3rd cousin means they shared a common gg grandparent (in this case Robert Carter in 18th century Virginia). The 6 times removed means it is 6 generation back from me to my ggg grandfather.

So you can see that saying someone is a 9th, 10, or 11th cousin is going back quite a ways And saying that GWB and Kerry are 32nd and 34 generations back to Vlad Tepes is really getting carried away!

I don't know, and take the point about Hitler's grandfather being unknown for sure 100%

Consensus of opinion on the internet would indicate Hitlers father was Alois Schueckelgruber who married Clara Poilzl. Who was the illegitimate son of Maria Anna Schueckelgruber and Lionel Rothschlld. Alois changed his last name to Hitler with the Austrian ministry which was his mother in law's maiden name, rather than carry his mothers name which would show him as illegitimate. Apparently having three children Gustav Paula and Adolf

Red, yup - once removed. It just means of a different generation. The distance is still a second cousin, but there is also a generational difference. When I was in my late teens, I used to correspond with a 2nd cousin 4 times removed. He was a retired English prof over 100 years old and was of the same generation as my great grandfather. His father and my gg grandfather were in the same company in the Civil War! (He made it to 103.)

p.s. It's kind of a Southern thing. Southerners keep track of their families and the women especially can recite their genealogy at the drop of a hat, at least the older one did. My great aunts were in the Daughters of the America Revolution, as if that meant something. (It did to them. Kind of pointless to me, since I know there were also a few Loyalists in our family. ;) )

• Like 1