To wai or not to wai ?

gobbledonk

Comparing a wai to a western handshake is not correct. There is too many social/culture stuff wrapped up in the wai.

Agree on this, my preference is to use the local custom rather than non-participation and after I have done this thousands of time I will have it all sorted out...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SanukBoot,

>>she does have a sister who is living in the US studying<<

Pretty? Ahhh, never mind, she's ruined already. smile.gif Just kidding. Where do you guys live?

just to add to this, the reason why I would like to learn / understand the culture is I would like to work there and it will be much easier if I can use the local customs effectively as it would give you an edge over other farang applicants who do not understand the customs as well...

Sanukboot.

I am sure that Joe Cummings are very well aware of the local culture and understand the rules after having living more than a decade or so in Thailand. Being fluent in thai, reading and writing included sure doesn`t hurt either.

I think that the reason why he wrote it like that is probably that he suspects that the average tourist will most likely only meet with people who will be serving him and thus no need for waiing.

Anonymouse:

Yes, that was rather unfortunate that you didn`t wai the GF`s parents.

I would say when in doubt then better safe than sorry. I would probably rather look a tad ridiculous than offend anyone.

Hua Nguu.

Yea, and another thought to this is that if you get wai just right, then it will immediatly be followed with a barrage of Thai language that they will expect you to know..........much better to just present yourself with who you are, and what you know, I think.

HT

I don't agree with the first part but definitely agree with the second part (re: presenting yourself with who you are and what you know).....I cannot see the big issue in waiing someone and not understanding the language...A simple explanation that you are "phasing in" everything Thai and you have started with customs and moving onto langauage....I still believe they will appreicate the wai....

my personal direction in an ideal environment is to have a window of around 1 year where I move from somewhere to Bangkok and I will study at Chulalongkorn university to learn to read and write Thai before finding employment( I believe it will cost 175KBaht) for the course....This way I should be able to read and write Thai....The other way is to do certain levels over a 4 year period (i.e take 3 months off a year and study Thai)

Sanukboot

"I am sure that Joe Cummings are very well aware of the local culture and understand the rules after having living more than a decade or so in Thailand. Being fluent in thai, reading and writing included sure doesn`t hurt either. "

Okay....Thanks for information...

Hawaii....22 years.

I appreciate your take on this. Like I said, I'm very ignorant about it, and am always concience of offending someone where I am only a visiter. Good to know that I won't be killed on the spot if I get it wrong. smile.gif

Thanks for your insight.

As I said, UTY. But in America I wouldn't offer a handshake to someone who came from a no-handshake culture unless he stuck out his paw first.

Archived