To wai or not to wai ?

gobbledonk

SanukBoot

>I'm looking for the information now, but I think there are 7 variations of the wai and all used in different scenarios...

The 4 levels of waiing I mentioned is only discribed the 'hand levels'. There are some other ways of show respect. For example, to ¡ÃÒº¾Ãþ·¸ÃÙ» or pay a respect to a Buddha image, we have what we call ອ¨Ò§¤»ÃôÔÉ°ì where you need to put your 5 parts of your body to the floor, which are your forehead, your palms and your knees.

As the Lonely Planet suggestion, I have to agree that for average tourists taking short itme visits 'no waiing' strategy is forgiven by average Thai. We understand that they are just tourists and don't expect them to wai us. But if you have to associate yourself with some Thai. It is better to wai even incorrectly. We will appreciate your effort and feel good about you to care enough to do it. We might laugh at you but we like you already.

Enough for Thai culture for today. Some of you get bored already laugh.gif

GTG

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 satangs worth is that "waiing" is rooted in religous practise and is used all over Asia including India/Nepal where Budda came from.

It seems to me that it has "evolved" into a way to demarcate social lines.

BTW, this makes me think, I should be getting a little more then a lame "Sawasdee Krap/Ka" at the 7-11!!

I will not post when drinking!I will not post when drinking!

I will not post when drinking!

I will not post when drinking!I will not post when drinking!

I'm always amused by the seemingly slapstick situation wherein the farang wais just as the Thai, trying to act Western, sticks out his hand for a handshake; slightly awkward pause, then the farang sticks HIS hand out JUST as the Thai reverts to a wai himself; another slightly awkward pause, etc. This can go on back and forth for a couple of minutes. smile.gif

Monks will not erturn a wai, not even to the king. Someone here mentioned their GF being pissed off about the farang waiing a monk, and I don't know why that would be.

ONE THING FOR SURE: Do not return wais from BGs or MP girls. You will be endlessly discussed scornfully behind your back, in front of you if they think you don't know Thai. On an early trip to Annie's, I returned a wai to the girl I'd picked, and was puzzled by the derisive laughter that followed. I knew just enough Thai at that point to pick up certain remarks about the farang waiing the girl. DEFINITELY a newbie thing to do. If you walk into a bar and return BGs' wais, you'll be treated disdaianfully by all in there. The BGs know that regular Thais would NEVER wai them, and farangs waiing them are proof positive of ignorant tourists ripe for the taking.

I have wai'd a bargirl precisely ONCE. I had arrived in Bangkok the previous day, knew absolutely nothing of Thai culture (still know very little) and went to a bar near Patpong. Is this sounding Newbie enough for you all ?? smile.gif

After talking to a girl at the bar, and buying her a few drinks, I decided to show her my attempt at the Wai. Smiles all round - no derisive laughter (may have happened later, but I cant lie awake at night thinking about it) or sniggering. I suspect that they get a lot of newbies, and its just accepted that we'll make fools of ourselves). You can get away with a lot as a newbie in BKK, but it also marks you as 'easy meat' for tuk-tuk drivers etc. Those guys will take you 'anywhere' for 50 baht - their mates tailor shop, their mates jewellery shop, their mates brothel ....

Archived