Thai Work Visa 2014

cavanami

Just jumped thru the hoops to renew my work visa.

Needed the same 200 pages and copies of this, that and the other thing.

This year, maybe the threat of the Army or whatever, there was no hint that

some extra fees should be paid.

Nice, both the company and I pay enough taxes so piss on the idea of extra fees!!!

The hint comes when they want copies of the outside back cover of your passport, then they want a certain copy in color and then they want...etc etc etc

Last year I was asked the next time I return from an international trip that I bring them a box of chocolates. :dunno:

...of course, I am hansum man :hubbahubba:

Note: my little story deals with an ED Visa, not work visa, but probably similar process at immigration?

First time I went to immigration for 90 day visa renewal, I went alone and was there approximately 4-5 hours waiting in different queues. Further - I didn't know I had to do a 90 day report in addition to the visa renewal, I mean they stamped my passport and told me I could go.

The second time I went I showed the info desk people (right at the front entrance) my paperwork and they said there would be a problem because I hadn't done the 90 day report on my last visit - wtf I didn't even know what it was and nobody had explained this to me, not even the school. Was starting to hate life when I see one of the receptionists from my school there, they sent her out if they have a large amount of folks due at immi that day. She was helping a nice japanese couple from my class. Serendipity. I went up to get her input.

Her input was this: give me 500 baht and I'll have you out of here in 30 minutes, with everything done. So first she took me over to the 90 day report queue and walked up the side to talk to one of the ladies, done in about 5 minutes.

Next we went over to the main immigration queue with my school paperwork (here's where the waits can get ugly in Chaeng Wattana), she took the 500baht along with my paperwork and passport and told me to go eat downstairs. Soon after I got a call to come pick up my passport from her and I was done.

Only time I paid extra. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

The paperwork that I see piled in into mountains at the Immi office...Amazing Thailand!

Why the hell do they need so much paperwork??? My paperwork was at least 200 pages.

Hello....we have computers and scanners now :dunno:

Each year I wonder about the same thing! Nice thing is that you have to sign 200 pages as well, supposedly a stamp with your signature would be sufficient!

I almost always had my visa through a government university, before I got married. Very little paperwork required and they wai you politely. But I've seen others there from private schools and unies, who are required to go to a different section for businesses. They have huge piles of documents - company registration, names of share holders, tax documents etc. Last visa renewal, I was in and out in an hour or so. A friend from a private uni told me he was there for 6 hours.

By way of comparison -

When I did the marriage papers in The Glorious People's Republic, not only were there great piles of manila folders full of papers in the office, on every surface and in every nook and cranny, the two uniformed women officers, laboriously, hand copied each of my 20 + 2~3 page documents onto identical forms.

Like this -

"Is this your name?" - points at my document - "Yes" - writes name on new paper.

"Is this your address?" - points at my document- "Yes" - writes address on new paper.

"Is this your phone?" - points at my document- "Yes" - writes phone on new paper.

"Is this your email?" - points at my document- "Yes" - writes email on new paper.

and so on.

It took nearly three hours. My friends did not believe me. If they had a photocopier it must have been reserved for the elite...