Choice Of Partner

I have friends in relationships with farang that actually work well, and like myself have been with their partner for many years and everyone is happy. When I hear stories of farang being taken for a ride or being ripped off by Thai women they married. Isn't it as simple as they made a bad choice in the woman that they became involved with at the beginning, which is their fault.

Same principle applies to all nationalities, marry in haste repent at leisure.

Why marry a Thai?

Does Thailand give you a work permit, NO

Does Thailand give you a "green card" and no check-ins, NO

Does Thailand give you medical, NO

Sorry, but me thinks it should be tit for tat, if I marry a Thai and we live in the USA, she can get a green card, which

allows her to work, she can buy a house, no hassles, so WTF :dunno:

It's a riddle?

Whilst I am sure there are relationships that started and ended with the lady endeavouring to part the Tourist with his money;

Most I've heard of are a result of the guy not adjusting to the culture, thinking that poor SEA families are somehow the equivalent of proud and poor western families who would never take assistance as a matter of pride. The facts are when the guy gives them money, its seen as them gaining merit, they've done something right to get this gift. If the relationship sours, the guy will obviously apportion blame and focus on the money. But he gave it in the first place (insert lecture from monk on the impermanence of possessions and money).

When you marry a SEA girl you get the family as well. When one of the family members is down on their luck the family will look after them unless they're total lost cause, and even then they sometimes will go further, than a western family would. Western families tend to abandon people to the social welfare structures in their countries.

The westerner experiences a sour relationship, tends to withdraw from the game and retreat to a distance to complain about how he was ripped off. The local, in similar circumstances, may not fare much better, but would never suggest that he'd not given the money as a benign and generous giver. To suggest he'd been ripped off would indicate that he was "sticky" or Kee Neow, not a reputation you'd want of you're ever thinking of courting again.

Just my humble opinion.

My wife's older sisters saw to it that she became the first in her family to get a university education. In return, she has helped see that the younger generation of her family all does the same - with her own money. (Never asked me for a satang because of that.) The only times I've had to step in were 1) when a sister-in-law's husband's business partner absconded with the company's money and left them high and dry, and 2) when a bro-in-law was shot and nearly killed in a hit arranged by a business competitor. (Some business ... selling pork in a market! But he wasn't Chinese and was stepping on Chinese turf.) I have nothing to complain about money-wise with my Mrs.

• 2 weeks later...