Plan For Special Area Where Tourists Can Party Safely On Koh Tao

Flashermac

Designated entertainment and activity areas and a special management team will be implemented on Koh Tao, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said Monday.

The scheme, dubbed the "Koh Tao Model", is a response to the unsolved murder of two British backpackers on the island this month.

"The island has no areas for tourists to party or hold events, so this should help prevent underestimating the problem," she said.

Kobkarn said the Tourism and Sports Ministry was also considering applying the model to all resort islands in the Kingdom in a bid to make them safer for tourists.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Plan-for-special-area-where-tourists-can-party-saf-30244388.html

Another "good" idea they launched in the press today:

Have all tourists wear wristbands, hook them up with a Thai buddy whom will stay with them at all times and/or electronically tag them ......

They are actually serious about that :p

All in all there are more people getting in trouble in Spain on a holiday.

I've been wearing something that says "I'm a Tourist - Fuck Me!" for years - it's really working, too, but expensive sometimes... Party areas, goes back to Purachai and the "nightlife zones" - remember that? When we all feared they'd actually go through with a plan for Bangkok?

What will the rest of Koh Tao be zoned for, if not tourists?

Anyway, they've got things upside down - the tourist areas are supposed to be where the laws are NOT enforced, isn't that the idea for fun party places? Maybe it's me that's got things wrong - though it would be the first time in decades that I was wrong.

YimSiam

Well I guess the higher end hotels could issue gold, silver, diamond themed bracelets so that the Somchais could scam those more than the more economical yellow and green models.

But would red ones provoke attacks by taxi drivers who are offended at tourists appropriating the colour that is the Thai proles by right and also demonstrating that foreigners will never understand Thainess?

And as someone elsewhere suggested, about the idea to zone and enforce "Tourist Party Only" areas, if there were barbed wire fences around such areas, you could herd the Bill and Margarets, with their pre-unwashed dreads and the harem pants and the pretty string purses that they purchased in the Scunthorpe markets before they arrived in Thailand, into these areas, ensuring that they are safe except unto themselves and that they don't stray into the surrounding local populace, offending local mores.

Mind you, I think that could be a good thing. Bus from airport to big wire cage, 10 days of alcohol, drugs and deet, bus back to airport, go home. Holiday had, problem solved.

• Like 1