I Farken Hate Carry On Baggage

bust

bust, I travel with medical equipment (CPAP, nebulizer, medications) that MUST arrive WITH me. Checked baggage doesn't always get there on schedule. (I still haven't figured out how American Airlines managed to mislay my bag on a nonstop flight, but they did. I also haven't figured out how they managed to get it there the next morning. I can only surmise that it made it onto a later flight to Dallas, and there was a very early flight from Dallas to Chicago. Meanwhile, I got to make an emergency night clothes-shopping run in Chicago.)

I travel with notebook computer and digital SLR camera. The problem with theft from checked baggage in the US is WELL documented, meaning if I want to see my camera and computer again, it has to travel with me.

The medical gear lives in a 22x14x9 carryon. Official size. The camera and computer live in a backpack designed for that kind of thing, that fits under the seat (unless the airplane was retrofitted with an entertainment system).

JAL and CX have one-bag limits. CX also has a weight limit. However, there's an exception for medical gear. JAL has a note about my gear in my permanent passenger file. CX was coming around, checking bag weights. When I explained the situation, they IMMEDIATELY said "No problem." (They then surprised the heck out of me by upgrading me to an otherwise-empty row in Premium Economy. I walk with a cane, which may have had something to do with it.)

THAI has a one-bag 10 kg carryon limit. In Frankfurt, at least, their gate agents have NO latitude to make exceptions for medical gear. I finally managed to persuade them to allow me to carry the asthma nebulizer and Epi-pen as a small purse, along with my camera/computer backpack. I think that had something to do with them realizing that Questions Might Be Asked if the pilot had to divert a full 747 into Afghanistan for a fully-preventable inflight medical emergency, because they'd refused to allow a passenger to carry his meds with him. (If I never see THAI in Frankfurt again, I'll be just fine.)

THAI has a one-bag 10 kg carryon limit. In Frankfurt, at least, their gate agents have NO latitude to make exceptions for medical gear. I finally managed to persuade them to allow me to carry the asthma nebulizer and Epi-penâ„¢ as a small purse, along with my camera/computer backpack. I think that had something to do with them realizing that Questions Might Be Asked if the pilot had to divert a full 747 into Afghanistan for a fully-preventable inflight medical emergency, because they'd refused to allow a passenger to carry his meds with him. (If I never see THAI in Frankfurt again, I'll be just fine.)

I'll be flying Thai Airways on the Frangfurt - BKK leg of the trip next month. Looking at their website, THAi allows two bags for carryon; and the limit is 7 kg (maximum length 22 inches, width 18 inches, thickness 10 inches) for the first bag and 1.5 kg (maximum length 15 inches, width 10 inches, depth 15 inches, or the total of three dimensions do not exceed 30 inches) for the personal item bag. I decided this time to take my smartphone with wifi instead of a laptop to save space in my two carryons. I travel light for trips like this, to avoid checking baggage.

Thai Airline rules are that you are allowed two carry on bags. I haven't had any problems w/ two carry on bags on my last few trips to LOS via the trans-Pacific route. It's kind of hard to argue with a gate agent (I could note his name and complain later) but I'm hoping they will let me through. I've had problems w/ bags damaged and arriving late when checked.

This just goes to show you how vulnerable you are when traveling. I remember one time an old guy, traveling alone, had a hearing disorder and couldn't hear the announcement in the boarding area. He had a major problem and eventually one of the airline employess had to assist. Life is hard, more so if you are a lone adisabled traveler.