Jump to content

Body Of Missing Japanese Man Found Off Bang Na-Trat Road


Recommended Posts

THE BODY of an elderly Japanese man who was reported missing recently was found yesterday evening in an overgrown area near the Assumption University Suvarnabhumi campus off Bang Na-Trat Road in Samut Prakan province.


The late man's Thai wife Phornchanok Chaiyapa and her cabbie boyfriend were taken to the site, near the 25km marker on Bang Na-Trat, by police, who hoped it would encourage them to confess. Neither of the suspects had been charged earlier despite police believing that they had a hand in the disappearance of Yoshinori Tetsuo, 79.


Earlier, a police source said surveillance camera footage obtained from the apartment building where Tetsuo resided, showed Phornchanok and her boyfriend Somchai carrying a large suitcase into the apartment. This was before the Japanese language tutor went missing earlier this month.


Huai Khwang police in Bangkok and officers based in Samut Prakan are now jointly investigating the case, with Samut Prakan officers yesterday visiting several locations near two houses - one of which belongs to Phornchanok, 47 - and two hospitals to look for clues.


Investigators have also started looking into the death of Kasitosi Tanaka, who was also married to Phornchanok and allegedly died from a fall down the staircase 11 years ago.


The death happened not long after he married Phornchanok, though Bang Phli police recorded that the death had resulted from an accident, which was backed by public |prosecutors, deputy Samut Prakan police chief Pol Colonel Yongyuth Techarat said.


Prior to the discovery of Tetsuo's body, he said this case would be reopened if there is any new evidence - either through police discovery or via a statement by Phornchanok - indicating that Tanaka's death was an act of murder.


Phornchanok and Somchai were detained at a military facility in Bangkok, and police say the suspects insisted during the three-hour-long interrogation that they did not know where Tetsuo was.


Another source said detectives had learned from further questioning Phornchanok that she had taken her husband to hospital recently and that they had had a fight near On Nut BTS station.


Both Phornchanok and Somchai are being detained under martial law for an initial seven days, though neither has been charged with any offence.


Police, meanwhile, will continue gathering more details, the source said.


Ruengsak said later that Tetsuo's current status was regarded as missing, and that written requests had been forwarded to government agencies or hospitals asking them to report the discovery of bodies or deaths of foreign men between September 21 and October 14.


He said later that Pol Maj-General Phongphan Wannaphak, acting commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 1, had been appointed as chief investigator for the case.


At a later stage, public prosecutors could be possibly invited to take part as advisers, he added.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

> The late man's Thai wife Phornchanok Chaiyapa and her cabbie boyfriend


>Investigators have also started looking into the death of Kasitosi Tanaka, who was also married to Phornchanok and allegedly died >from a fall down the staircase 11 years ago.


:redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Black widow' confesses to role in Shimato's murder



The Thai woman, whose Japanese partner 79-year-old Yoshinori Shimato was reported missing, has now confessed to having a hand in his murder and the dismembering of his body, police said yesterday.


Police revealed that Phornchanok Chaiyapa and taxi driver Somchai Kaewbangyang confessed on Thursday night after their daughter and Phornchanok's mother showed up at police request and persuaded them to tell the truth.


New information revealed that Somchai was previously married to Phornchanok.


The cabbie claimed Phorn-chanok had called him, complaining that Shimato was refusing to give her money. So he said he armed himself with a knife and rode his motorbike to her home.


Finding them in bed, he suffocated the Japanese man with a pillow.


Somchai then dragged the victim's body into a bathroom, where he hacked the body into pieces, before putting these parts in fertiliser sacks and loading them on to a pickup to drop the bags off at different locations.


"Jealousy and money issues are key motives," Provincial Police Region 1 acting chief Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano said.


He added that there was solid evidence and police should be able to conclude the investigation in 15 days.


Somchai and Phornchanok were taken to several spots to re-enact their alleged crime yesterday.


After Shimato's death made the headlines this week, the daughter of Phornchanok's previous husband, Katsutoshi Tanaka, came forward to call on police to re-open her father's case.


Tanaka reportedly died from falling down the stairs in 2003.


Keiko Matta, 31, said she suspected foul play, especially since Phornchanok reportedly claimed Bt3 million from Tanaka's life insurance.


Matta is Tanaka's daughter from another woman.


Police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thavornsiri said Tanaka's case would only be re-opened if there was new evidence.


"The statute of limitations for a murder is 20 years," he pointed out. :surprised:


Nation Police Office's Level 10 adviser General Korkiat Wongworachat has been put in charge of cases related to Phornchanok, Prawut said.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pair charged over death 11 years ago


Police yesterday charged a couple with murder in connection with the death 11 years ago of the woman's previous Japanese husband after her Thai partner confessed to having killed him for his business.


The death in October 2003 of Katsutoshi Tanaka was at that time declared an accident.


He was reported by his then-wife Phornchanok Chaiyapa to have died after falling from the stairs at his home.


Phornchanok and her Thai partner, Somchai Kaewbangyang, have been charged with premeditated murder and hiding a corpse in another case, involving the death of the woman's other Japanese husband Yoshinori Shimato.


Somchai had confessed to killing and dismembering Shimato, with Phornchanok's knowledge.


Police yesterday accompanied Somchai and Phornchanok, both 47 years old, to a shophouse in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district for re-enactment of the alleged crime that took place on October 3 in 2003.


Somchai confessed to police that he had pushed Tanaka down the house stairs and used his foot to suffocate him while the Japanese man was unconscious, according to police investigators at the re-enactment yesterday.


The man said that he was jealous of Tanaka, who was with Phornchanok at the time, and that he wanted to take over Tanaka's shop selling farming tools.


Phornchanok also reportedly had claimed Bt3 million in insurance money following Tanaka's death in 2003.


Police Lt-General Suwira Songmetta, an assistant national police chief, said yesterday that investigators were collecting evidence against Somchai and Phornchanok before filing the case with the Criminal Court.


"We have evidence to prove that Tanaka's case was not caused by a fall from the stairs and that the people involved had benefited from his death. We will seek court permission for the arrest of Somchai and Phornchanok for pre-meditated murder," Suwira said.


Somchai has confessed to killing Tanaka while Phornchanok, while not entirely denying her involvement, did not admit to committing the murder, according to the senior police officer.


Suwira said that police were collecting evidence before suggesting to public prosecutors to bring this murder case to court against the couple.


During yesterday's re-enactment of the crime, Phornchanok appeared to suffer from stress and fainted. Officials later helped her regain consciousness.


Somchai's younger brother Somsak Saelim, a witness in this murder case, told police that after Tanaka's death, Somchai and Phornchanok had told him that if he was asked by anyone about the cause of the Japanese man's death, he should tell them that Tanaka had died after falling from the stairs, according to a police source.


Meanwhile, the Criminal Court yesterday granted a police request for rejection of any bail for Somchai and Phornchanok during the police investigation.


Somchai was yesterday taken to Bangkok Special Prison for detention and Phornchanok was taken to Bang Khen Women's Prison.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

<< Ms Pornchanok, who was formerly known as Pensri, has had at least two more Japanese partners, said a police source. One was identified only as Kamakari, said the source, adding that Ms Pornchanok's neighbour had obtained a letter written by him to Ms Pornchanok complaining about her going away with three million baht of his money. The neighbour received the letter for Ms Pornchanok because she was never at home.


The other Japanese partner was identified as businessman Noboru Ichizawa, who has filed embezzlement charges against Ms Pornchanok with the Thong Lor Police Station. >>




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...