Is This A Thai Trait?

dean

That's not quite how it works. She can get her own insurance but, because the insurance we have now has 3 cars on it and offers a multi car discount, if she bought insurance on her own, it would be more expensive. As I pay the insurance premiums, I deduct $100 from what I pay her and she (out of her wages) makes up the difference in the grocery allowance. As most of what she buys is from an Asian market or chicken (I like chicken but not 5 days a week), I buy breakfast items, milk (are there any Thais that drink milk?) pizza, Mexican food and, occasionally, Mickey D's. My wife, her 24 year old daughter and 20 year old son can buy their own food. I'm responsible for my 7 year old son and 17 year old step daughter. The big question, BB, is who is going to help the 17 year old next year with her college tuition; me and my wife (who just took on payments of $450 per month for the next 5 years)?

Back to OP: I don't think this is a Thai trait -- it's universal -- my wife's been ripping me off for decades. :( She is a manager at a utility company and makes good money but likes to spend more than she makes.

With regard to car insurace, my car insurance cost me about $150 every six months. I'm not accident prone so I only have liability insurance. I keep enough money in the bank to cover the cost for another car.

My wife is saving money from her job to buy her own car for cash. She refuses to take on any debts. The only credit card she has is her pre-paid Mastercard which she tops up once a month from her pay. She does this for her mother in Thailand who is a joint card holder.

I thank God that my wife doesn't feel the need to support her mother or the family's of her sisters. I guess that she carries that to the extreme and doesn't support her children, leaving that to me. Except for clothes. Which makes me believe that new cars and new clothes improve her status, at least in her mind. She would rather pay her friend $150 a month to stay and take care of our house in Chiang Mai than rent it out to strangers and make money. Any affection we had for each other ended several years ago. I made a commitment to her 3 children to see them through College. As long as the youngest, a high school senior, wants to attend College, I'll stay in the marriage (and to make sure my son doesn't take after his mother and his oldest sister and brother;fortunately, he is closest to his sister that is in High school). As far as divorce, my wife can walk at any time. If she thinks that she will get my two houses in Chiang Mai or my house in Kansas City, it will be over my dead body.

Get to know the legal term, pre-martial property, very important.

However, the legal eagles now spin it that the husband gives "gifts" to his wife, trying to negate the pre-martial property claims!!

Also, if things go into the crapper, make sure you have copies/originals of deeds, titles, birth/marriage certificates, etc.

Maybe you already had a go around with the divorce scene? if not, make sure to hire a male-friendly attorney.

So much for my :soapbox::twocents:

My thai wife likes milk, only problem is there are after effects to her drinking milk...

I believe she is lactose intolerent. Sp?

Dean when my wife bought the car in Thailand it came out of her salary that I paid her for working with me.

I helped her with the down payment.

Her and her brother set up the deal at the dealer in Bangkok. Heck I don't even know where the dealership is..

She was so happy to finish the payments and have the blue book in hand with no money owed on it.

Get to know the legal term, pre-martial property, very important.

Thai family and marriage laws specify that property belonging to either spouse before the marriage remains his or her personal property after the marriage. If during the marriage personal property has been exchanged to other property this remains a personal property.

Section 1471 of the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code: 'Personal property (Sin Suan Tua) consists of: (1) property belonging to either spouse before marriage, (2) property for personal use, dress or ornament suitable for station in life, or tools necessary for carrying on the profession of either spouse, (3) property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift'.

Section 1472 of the Civil and Commercial Code: 'As regards to Sin Suan Tua (personal property), if it has been exchanged to other property, other property has been bought or money has been acquired from selling it, such other property or money acquired shall be Sin Suan Tua. Where the Sin Suan Tua has been totally or partly destroyed but replaced by other property or the money, such other property shall be Sin Suan Tua'.

Section 1474 marital assets (matrimonial or common jointly owned property between husband and wife) is under Thai law called 'Sin Somros' and consists of:

• property acquired during marriage;

• property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will of gift made in writing if it is declared by such will or document of gift to be Sin Somros;

• fruits of Sin Suan Tua.

In case of doubt as to whether a property is Sin Somros (jointly owned) or not it shall be presumed to be Sin Somros

Section 1474 last sentence means that all property acquired throughout the course of the marriage becomes jointly owned marital property between husband and wife regardless of how the title is held except properties that fall under sections 1471 and 1472 of the Civil and Commercial Code, but some proof that a property is personal property will be required. When the marriage ends due to death or divorce marital property will be divided and distributed in equal shares.

Thailand appears quite tolerant with the pre-martial property...not so with the USA!

If he gets divorced in the USA, the Thai laws may help with his properties in Thailand but won't do squat in the USA.

Bottom line in the USA, every state does not want to get stuck supporting the x-wife/family so the laws and rulings

have been heavily in the favor of the woman, who usually gets the kids and the house and alimony and child support.

Like we say, she gets the gold mine, we (men) get the shaft!!!