“God Is Not A Magician, With A Magic Wand�: Pope Francis Schools Creationists

Flashermac

Seems pointless to spend time researching how the universe began because then the obvious question would be " well,what happened before that ? " and so on Ad Infinitum.

There was no "before". There was no time, so space, absolutely nothing. The beginning was a quantum quantum fluctuation in the nothingness.

Seems pointless to spend time researching how the universe began because then the obvious question would be " well,what happened before that ? " and so on Ad Infinitum.Many of these theories such as parallel universes etc. can`t be proved or even tested and so fall into the category of religion rather than science.

Yeah, I used to get mightily irritated with religion in my old college days but that's mellowed. Don't get me wrong, fundamentalists who interpret religious doctrine as scientific truth scare the bejeebus out of me (pun intended) - I'll fight them till the day I die -- but I think for a lot of people religion is more of an esoteric anecdote trying to give meaning to things. It's not necessarily competing with science (for many), but rather a symbolic way of interpreting life to give it a broad and spiritual meaning. I got no problem with that.

The force is with you. :)

I don't really care what people believe. Best way to start an argument is to start talking religion.

If that doesn't work youcould always start talking about politics.

I have no idea how it all started, but the idea that nothing created everything is simply too far out for me. Maybe the Buddhists are right and the universe simply has aways existed in one form or another.

A singularity isn't the same as nothing, it just doesn't have mass or volume but it does have infinite energy. The buddhists could be right. The singularity could be the universe in a different form than it is today.