Thai Immi Multi-Entry Visa

cavanami

Seems like Thai Immi has changed AGAIN!!!

Last year, I was issued my one year business/work visa and at the same time I paid

for and was issued a multi-entry (exit) visa.

This time around...NO

I have to go to the Thai Immi, for what I have no idea as I had the form filled out, with my

picture and already had the one year business/work visa, just issued last week.

Our driver took it to Thai Immi and they said, NO, I must appear...this is a first but we have found

that when they start to pull this shit, they want TEA MONEY...

Oh, well...take a few hours and do the Thai Immi dance :dunno:

Other than once, at the beginning I've never had another Thai visa. Only a 12 month extension of stay. That was tracked to the work permit. Then I needed a multiple re-entry permit, for which I always had to appear. Can be done at immigration anytime or at the airport on a day of departure, 3k for 12 months I recall. Never could get a multi re-entru permit without showing up, or indeed the extension of stay. Always had to put in an appearance even though the company always does the running around and filing

Out here in the country, it used to be rather relaxed...but not any more.

We have ladies that are well versed with the Thai Immi dance and our ladies often tell us, "...it

would go faster if there was a "donation" made...", which we loudly say, NO!!! We pay waaaaaay

too much in Thai taxes, so they can go scratch for "donations"!!!

First - understand the process, and the correct terms.

Someone has an extended entry permit, probably based on either business, or marriage to a Thai spouse. It is now time to renew that entry permit extension.

You must appear in person at Immigration, to apply for the renewal. They usually don't talk to you, they just want to see your face. They then place into your passport an ink stamp, which says "application for extension under consideration" - and it gives you an "extended until" date that is approximately 30 days later.

At this point, your renewal is not completed - it is just "under consideration" - but you have a short-term extension.

30 days later, either you, or a service provider representing you, shows up at Immigration with your passport, to receive the long-term extension stamp. The passport holder is NOT required to be present - just his passport.

BUT - if you now want a reentry permit - either single or multiple-entry - that lets you exit and reenter Thailand - you must appear in person to obtain that stamp.

From early 2012 until 24 August 2014, most service providers had "arrangements" whereby applicants did not need to appear at any time - they could instead pay a fee (with no receipt) to have just your passport visit Immigration. At my company, the "no receipt" fees were 2,000 baht for the annual renewal, and 200 baht for the re-entry permit.

As of 24 August, the junta clamped down on Immigration, and the "special services" were discontinued.

This month, things at Immigration are on the path toward returning to "normal". But - as of today - personal appearances are still required, as described above.

I am in the business of processing company registrations, work permits, and Immigration extensions - so I keep track of procedures virtually day by day.

Everything that I wrote above applies to Bangkok. Things work somewhat differently in other jurisdictions.

Cheers,

SS

• Like 1