Thai Students Close To Bottom Of 14-Country It Skills Ranking

Flashermac

The information-technology skills of Thai eighth-graders are near the bottom of a new list ranking 14 countries.

Chaiwut Lertwanasiriwan, of the Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST), said one of the key reasons for the low score - in which 13th-placed Thailand scored 373 points and last-placed Turkey 361 - was the focus on memorisation of textbooks rather than emphasising application and practicality like the countries at the top of the list.

Chaiwut said grouping IT in a subject titled "basic career teachings and technology orientation" meant that analytical thinking crucially associated with IT teaching was absent.

He said teachers, who were governed by corresponding curricula, did not teach students how to apply IT knowledge in their daily life or other lines of learning.

IPST recently took part in the International Computer and Information Literacy Study that led to the creation of the list.

The Czech Republic topped the list with 553 points while Chile was ranked 12th with 487 points.

South Korea, the only Asian country that took part in the event apart from Thailand, earned 536 points to finish fourth.

Chaiwut said various relevant indices were essential in determining a country's score such as Internet availability, broadband penetration, the number of mobile-phone users, and the proportion of homes with personal computers.

He said this was evident in students from demonstration schools under university supervision in Thailand. Students from these schools, who often come from well-to-do families, earned 518 points in a separate category on individual types of schools compared with the 330 points scored by schools in urban areas.

http://www.nationmul...i-30248328.html

I did something about it. The primary reason I moved back to the U.S. Was to get my 3 step children out of Thai schools. Less memorizing and more analytical thinking. Now, if I could just get the 24 year old off her butt and back in college, I'd be a very happy man.

My wife and 2 step daughters never assimilated to live in the U.S., so I would expect them to move back to Thailand at some point(unless my 24 year old finds a Chinese living here that will support her in the way that she would like). My 20 year old step son will never move back (I'm not even sure if he wants to visit his father or friends in Thailand).

What has happened to the American dream in Detroit the 11th largest city in the US, once called the Motor City, but now anyone has to leave town to buy a Chrysler or a Jeep. Borders the international bookshop chain was founded just 40 miles away, but the only one of the chain's bookstores has closed. Starbucks the coffee chain famous for saturating U.S. cities with its storefronts, has only four left in this city of 900,000.

There was a time early in the decade when Detroit was sprouting new cafes and shops, but lately, they are finding it increasingly tough to buy groceries or get a cup of fresh-roast coffee.

No national grocery chain operates a store here. A lack of outlets that sell fresh produce and meat has led the United Food and Commercial Workers union and a community group to think about building a grocery store of its own.

post-55327-0-21348500-1416718025_thumb.jpg