Country is coming apart at the seams, one might think... Anyone have the back story on this?

YimSiam

PS: Why do I get the feeling there is something not quite right with this farang... The pink shirt (ah, like the guy who claimed the Jon Benet murder!)... the awkwardly hemmed pants, the strange hairstyle, skin tone - was this train headed for Aranyaprathet? Might explain things, somehow.

The train was going from Bangkok to Phitsanulok. The monk had been sitting by himself, when the Farang came and sat opposite him. Then two Farang women appeared and ask to sit with them. The Farang agreed and moved to let them do so! The monk lost his cool and smacked him for being an ignorant prat (i.e. backpacker).

• Like 1

The buffalo was just a completely ignorant farang, who knows absolutley nothing about Thailand or has any respect of Thai customs. He and the two farang women should have known that women do do touch or sit with a monk.

What the ignorant farang should have done was give up his seat and sit with the monk and the two women sit together. Applies boat, plane, train, bus ..

But of course you guys already know this .....

Sound quality poor, but what I can make out the monk said to guard that the farang had been bad mouthing him, the guard tried to calm monk down because he was getting angry, the guard saying it would be a bad image for Thailand. But the monk slapped him in any case.

Hi,

"What the ignorant farang should have done was give up his seat and sit with the monk and the two women sit together."

He *has to* give up hit seat? Why?

While I most likely would have given up my seat, is not doing so worth getting a slap in the face? And how is this any different than those orthodox jews causing a flight delay of several hours because they too cannot sit next to a woman?

I'm sorry, but this monk clearly showed that he was not worthy of giving up a seat.

Oh, and as for respecting the beliefs and cultural values of others, think about that the next time you see someone wearing a nazi helmet or displaying a T-shirt with Osama Bin Laden on it.

Sanuk!

• Like 2