Trains have designated seats for monks just maybe " someone was already sitting there that did not know " and the monk had to sit somewhere else and the incident with the farang was just the last straw and he reacted badly.

I used to ride the riverboats to work, which meant passing by the KSR landing. You wouldn't believe how obnoxious and ill mannered some of the backpackers were. (Or maybe you would ...) I didn't see that 30 or so years ago, when you had world travellers who generally seemed interested in the countries and cultures they were seeing. I can't say that about a lot of today's crowd.

This monk was out of line, since losing his temper was a big loss of face for him. I wonder what the temple's reaction will be if he can be identified. Since he was heading for Phitsanulok, it shouldn't be that hard to discover who he is. He is too old to be a novice and probably has been a monk for quite some time.

Trains have designated seats for monks, just maybe " someone was already sitting there that did not know " and the monk had to sit somewhere else and the incident with the farang was just the last straw and he reacted badly.

Don't know about the trains, but on the buses the signs are in Thai. Fat lot of good that does with non-Thai speaking tourists and others.

" on the buses the signs are in Thai "

It's some time ago that I was on a public bus, I can't remember for sure but I think sign now is in both English and Thai on a new bus anyway.

Designated seating reserved while waiting in airport for a monk, would you sit there if no other seating available and if you did what would you do if a monk came along to sit there ?

Generally speaking if a monk comes along I give up my seat, but why don't the Thais? in the same carriage?

Designated seating reserved while waiting in airport for a monk, would you sit there if no other seating available and if you did what would you do if a monk came along to sit there ?

Special case. I am 59 years old and somewhat mobility-impaired. (I walk with a cane, and I don't have the range I used to have.) I would sit. If a monk came, I would stand up and offer the seat.

I am fairly routinely offered seats on the skytrain. If the person offering is female, I generally decline. (Western upbringing.) If I'm just going one stop (usually Asoke to Nana), I'll decline. If I'm going Asoke to Siam, I usually accept, and thank them.