Sign in to follow this  
JaiRai

How Do You Write "jao-Paw" In Thai (The Word For Godfather/mafia)?

couple thai friends call me p'jao-paw (as a joke). how do you write in thai? (was going to use for my season's greetings) :)

also how do you write "Pii" as in big brother Pii, as in P'flashermac?

gratzi...

make sure you use the correct ' p ',otherwise it means ' ghost ',as in the old Thai joke,' pom bpen norg,kun pben pee ',the latter having a rising tone.

Funny, I also am known to a little clique of Thais as JaoPaw, or more commonly, in English 'Big Mafia'. Of course, it must be ironic, since I am of around average size, and not associated with organized crime!

YimSiam

^^ hungover at Oskar bar one afternoon, went to the restroom and returning to my stool --- I smashed my regular glasses because I forgot I laid them on the seat. Was awfully sunny that day and I was irritable, even moreso now, and about to head home - one of the waitresses i knew well gave me her extra pair of shades. This ridiculously over-sized pair of sunglasses a la hollywood 1972. Well, the other waitresses seemed to think this funny when i put them on and began to say oooooh, he's jao-paw (due to the sunglasses).

I thought the story was over with that. Couple weeks later I was back at Oskar in the evening with a girl I'd been hanging out with and the waitresses walk up -- ooooh, it's jao-paw. I kinda rolled my eyes and said 'no, i'm not jao-paw.... stop saying that~' - but they were too busy laughing at their own joke - and this infection spread to the girl i was with who began calling me jao-paw. And it spread even further from there.

eventually i just gave up.