Restaurant Observations , Assorted

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

whenever travelling into the center of the big city I take lunch at a restaurant which is in the middle of Soi7/1 on your left . I feel unable to explain what I like about the place , one feature probably the daily printed German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung which they have on offer . My favorite table is the single seater at the front of the establishment which offers a tremendous view on gems like the Eden Club and a food vendor an the opposite side where an endless stream of beauties buys lunch in plastic bags . I consider Soi 7 / 1 as an institution offering the ladies of the night a final opportunity to make money no matter what they look or what their weight has become like .

Sometimes I buy the service ladies a lottery ticket , I am a most welcome customer there I am sure . On arrival last month I noted that under the table various pieces of squeezed food were to been and I politely asked one of my lottery ladies if this could please be cleaned but the answer was a recommendation to sit elsewhere . So I thought WTF and left . I remember a recent piece where Stickman complained about generally degenerating attitude of service staff all over the place . So far unknown to me . Which leads us to the next event :

First I have to admit that my principally eternal affair with Lovely Nok suffered from a tecnical knockout late October when at the occasion of High Tea in the Four Seasons I had the idea to go through the facebook app on her smartphone . Heart broken . On the other hand I had enough anyway I remeber .

So I was walking up Sukhumvit in December when I noted a lovely lass in front of me and I analysed from behaviour and tasteful outfit that I was obviously following a chrystal clear office lady , educated and possibly virgin . I do not wish to paralyse this fine board by lengthy explanation but finally boardmember Bubi and the virgin were having a drink within the excellent Beergarden which was what madame was heading for . Owner of a mushroom cultivation near a place called Kalasin , heaven knows here that is . The cultivation currently suffers from a serious virus which as a last chance to survive made madame try to find some cash to shelter the family from immediate starvation and general disease . To support the project I suggested we meet the very next evening on the terrace of the Landmark at 18:00 sharp and we would have a drink and discuss further activities . The Kalasin mushroom farmers , for your knowing , do have a tendency to absorb major quantities of Australian red wine so be warned if money is an issue .

I am now finally heading for what I wanted to let you know : madame suggested a restaurant at the Suk end of Soi 19 which she thought was Italian but was indeed an Argentina beef supply . At most impressive prices and lousy quality . The place was in fact so bloody expensive that I now consider the Oriental as dead cheap to be frank . Go there and have a look if you don't believe it . The only geat thing was the unbelievably friendly and efficient service and they all spoke great English . I asked whereyoucomefromm and they said from the Philippines and one guy was from Pakistan . Could anybody here explain why a restaurant in the middle of Bangkok goes as far as employing staff from the Philippines for heaven´s sake ?

Over to you

All of the Sunrise Taco's seem to be staffed by Philipino's and I hate their guts. They do not speak a word of Thai and explained to me .... why learn Thai. I had to order for a Thai friend I took there because they could not speak Thai.

If you work as a waiter in a restaurant in another country learn the f***ing lingo.

• Like 1

Likely few patrons of the South American eatery are Thai. Most patrons probably speak some English, even the Russian and Chinese ones, possibly even French ones. No point employing Thai's who's knowledge of English extends as far as them being able to screw up every order. English speaking Thais can generally get better paid jobs at 300B/day these days.

Found it , the place is called El Gaucho . Have a look at their menue and you know what I was talking about . I think I paid 6000 something for a load of rubbish . They do not know how to prepare a decent meal . The f*''*'***g tragedy was that I love sort of open air Thai restaurants like we later found one in Soi 11 on your left shortly before you hit a left hand subsoi leading to a nice Spa where madame wished to recover from the demanding dinner and so did I . Raintree Spa , offering double rooms with a sliding door in the middle , a pure masterpiece of thoughtful architecture . I insisted on an oil massage in that case , I shall stop here . Anyway a clear step upwards in comparison to El Gaucho . Though no condoms on the premises , space for improvement . Can't have everything is what I learned in the Kingdom .

I ate at El Gaucho three or four times during their first year. Every meal was OUTSTANDING - rivaling the best I have had anywhere. But - the prices were dear indeed.

I never encountered a single Thai server. Art that time, servers were from Slovak Repuiblic, Philippines, Vietnam, Nepal, and a couple of other places - and they delivered five star service.

I have not been back in the past 18 months or so - it is just too expensive for my tastes. But - I haven't a bad word to say about what they delivered.

Cheers!

SS

All of the Sunrise Taco's seem to be staffed by Philipino's and I hate their guts. They do not speak a word of Thai and explained to me .... why learn Thai. I had to order for a Thai friend I took there because they could not speak Thai.

If you work as a waiter in a restaurant in another country learn the f***ing lingo.

Strange. All the Filipinos I've known here spoke passable Thai.

The mushroom cultivator confirmed that none of them spoke any Thai Khun Flashermac , not that it worried me .

Mr Stonesoup , we had beef from Argentina over Christmas here in Jeormany . The El gaucho material in comparison has been an insult looking at the pricing . What they supplied as vegetabled made me dream of the street food vendor rear end of Patpong 2, another of my daytime hotspots . Not that I fancy Patpong , just for the record . Only because we had received drinks already I did not escape from the El Gaucho premises , I am still angry when I think of it . Madame did even agree on a reasonable discount when checkbin time for services, assorted came next morning because she felt guilty . Hardcore freelancer by the way but good heart . No prompremm .

They are from the Philippines and most of them are pretty cool and good-hearted. The food on the other hand.... well, it depends.

btw - The Tapas Cafe on the sub soi off soi 11 is without a doubt some of the best non-thai food I had in Bangkok - and it's not expensive. One of the very real gems of that area.