Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The_Munchmaster

Crocodile Bile Beer

Recommended Posts

Mozambique beer poisoning deaths rise to 69

 

The number of people killed after drinking a "poisoned" homemade beer in Mozambique has risen to 69, state radio has reported.

 

The beer, usually made from millet, may have been contaminated with crocodile bile, a health official said.

 

A toddler was among those killed after apparently drinking the beer at a funeral in Tete province on Saturday.

 

An official said it was the worst such tragedy to hit Mozambique, with 39 people still being treated in hospital.

 

The government declared three days of national mourning in a decree published on Sunday.

 

The beer, known as "phombe", is traditionally served at functions in Mozambique's Tete province. Deaths from drinking it are rare, correspondents say.

 

Carle Mosse, the province's health director, said it was suspected that the poisoning had been caused by crocodile bile although this had yet to be confirmed in tests.

 

It was not immediately clear how the beer had been contaminated and whether it was intentional.

 

The woman who brewed the beer and several members of her family were among the victims, Radio Mozambique has reported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...