Any Upsides To Purchasing Land / Buildings In The Villages ?

torrenova

" Sounds familiar. My wife bought 21 rai about 8 years ago and land in the area is now selling for about triple what she paid."

Not my business really, but you mentioned in previous post you'r wife and yourself are buying a condo, as that was what funds allowed. As your wife has land that might well sell for triple it's purchase value, would it not have been an idea to sell and put towards purchasing a house. House and land in a city will increase faster in value in the long run than argricutral land or a condo. Should you and wife wish to return to the area in the future, you would be able to sell up and buy whatever you wanted with the profit.

Not in the boonies but I built a teak house on 1 rai about 12 kilometers outside of Chiang Mai (near Bosang) 9 years ago. About 6 years ago, we decided to move to U.S. but keep the house to move back to when my 7 year old starts college. What we haven't agreed on is renting the house. She doesn't want to and has sabotaged a couple of attempt to list with rental companies. I would like to rent it and put half aside for upkeep and the other half to a college fund for my son. I'll probably make a return to LOS this fall to see what kind of shape the house is in and personally try to rent it. At least, in the last 6-7 years, Chiang Mai has grown to Bosang and the value of the land has tripled. In worse case scenario, I'd sell the land and dismantle the house, either selling the teak or shipping it to the U.S.

Originally, tha lady that I bought the land from (and a good friend of mine) looked after it. After 2 years, my wife, who doesn't like the lady, wanted her out. My wife's friend is paid $150 a month (by my wife) to be a caretaker of the house. My friend still looks after the house. She lives 2 blocks away and she and I own an apartment building and commercial buildings next door. Across from my house, the lady's nephew, who I am friends with, lives and watches the house. I'm not afraid of squatters but am afraid of a break in.

Hi,

"As your wife has land that might well sell for triple it's purchase value, would it not have been an idea to sell and put towards purchasing a house."

Problem with houses is that in any area reasonably close to the center of Bangkok you would be paying a LOT of money for a house. More than I could afford anyway. And I don't want to live 2 hours away from work.

Sanuk!