Any Upsides To Purchasing Land / Buildings In The Villages ?

torrenova

My other half still thinks she will return to the boonies in Buriram when older and see out her days in her childhood village etc. On the other hand, I think she'll last a few months and then need a main city. All of this is somewhat hypothetical as it is 15 to 20 plus years away.

Some land and associated buildings which were historically in the family might come to market but at a price I consider illogical. It was sold out of the family around 20 years ago for just under Bt1m and the thought is that it might be in the Bt3-4m range today. I think that is fanciful and no, not yet is this an inflated "farang" price.

As a corner plot, on a village highway and side soi with a family house some way up the road, it really only lends itself to a commercial venture. However, the rent which could be obtained might be between Bt10k and Bt20k a month, which if Bt15k, would be a yield of just over 5% on Bt3.5m. However, significant investment in a new property on the site would be required, taking a likely capital outlay to around Bt5m and a yield of around 3.5%.

The money is immaterial to a degree but as the property would never be sold and would never attract a high rental income, it is just like putting Bt5m into a hole in the ground. There is no way on earth our daughter will ever live in rural Thailand.

I think it is about face, to get back something which was "lost" and I see no benefit but am I missing something ?

Hi,

My wife is a bit similar. She too thinks we will live in her village at some point (fat fucking chance of that as the 'village' consists of 6-7 houses in the middle of fucking nowhere). And she too would be fleeing back to a city within a month or so,

She's even already bought the plot of land for the house, but it was only 35,000 Baht (her own money), so I didn't really care.

And yes, it is probably a combination of nostalgia and face.

Sanuk!

Hi,

My wife is a bit similar. She too thinks we will live in her village at some point (fat fucking chance of that as the 'village' consists of 6-7 houses in the middle of fucking nowhere). And she too would be fleeing back to a city within a month or so,

She's even already bought the plot of land for the house, but it was only 35,000 Baht (her own money), so I didn't really care.

And yes, it is probably a combination of nostalgia and face.

Sanuk!

I liked the 6-7 houses, reminded me of rural Thailand, oh wait...

My Mrs inherited 5 rai as her share of the family farm (5 siblings). It just sits there, though she goes to spend a few days in the old home now and then. No one in the family wants to live there, but they hang onto it because it has been in the family for generations. But at least it cost them nothing to own. (The land is from her mother's family, who were considered well off by village standards. I gather it once was much more, but dear old dad sold off most of it to pay his drinking debts. The younger generation are all well educated and have jobs in the cities.)

I can't see buying land you're not going to use. It hurt a bit to sell my great grandparents' farm house in the States, but there wasn't much choice. Nobody in the family wanted to live in it and there was no sense paying taxes on it. It was just a white elephant.

Along with two sisters we own land which has already been legally transferred to us by our father who is now very old. It was done in such a way that we each own our own share of land in our right. Used at present for rubber, palm oil and fruit growing, and worked by locals, none of us sisters have any interest in living there as we have our own houses, in the cities and become used to city life.

We wonder what we should do in the future, should we keep it as a working business, paying someone to work it for us, (makes regular money and security of land) sell individually, or collectively. One sister has expressed the interest should we wish to buy myself and other sister's land with the intention of building houses and condos.

Anyway something that one day we will have to consider, but hope not for a long time.

My wife bought a plot, about 6 or 7 rai on the edge of the village, it's mostly rice or sweetcorn at times and is worked by the other villagers, she gets a cut of the annual harvest takings. Her plan is that since village land is not growing though the population is they will need plots for housing in time. She will divide it up into about a dozen 200sqw lots and sell them off. Given what she paid for the land, about 300,000 and the offers she's already had for the whole lot I think it will be a nice little earner in another 10 to 15 years.