Japanese Man Shaming Suvarnabhumi In Thai Goes Viral

Coss

Needed to transfer on a regular base between DM and SVNB, only once had a cabbie not turning on the meter, but since I was talking Thai all the time, once we arrived at SVNB, she asked for a normal price.

SVNB is a lot better than MNL for instance, that must be one of the worst airports in the area!

His inability to speak Thai was my immediate thought. It turns out he has not actually lived here for 10 years, but instead regularly visited over 10 years. That confirms my thought. It's no excuse for the taxi driver's demands, but it does help explain it. Taxi drivers will seldom try anything on with a long time expat (as demonstrated by fluent speaking ability), while they may well do so with a tourist.

I fly into Swampy regularly. There's nothing special about it but at the same time there's nothing really wrong with it. Usually I'm flying biz so I avoid big queues at immigration and I rarely have any issues with the taxi drivers (meter + B50 + decent tip). The only real issue I've had in the past are with customs.

Now Thai taxi drivers want to boycot Japanese passengers according to some tweets today. Here is one photo:

post-15565-0-94402400-1421853689_thumb.jpg

The land transport department issued a warning to all taxi drivers:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabbies-put-anti-japanese-sign-warned-may-lose-licences

Cabbies who put up anti-Japanese sign warned they may lose licences

The Land Transport Department has threatened to revoke the operating licences of any taxi drivers found to have put up a sign or a notice in their cars declaring their rejection of Japanese passengers.

An image of the anti-Japanese passengers notice has been posted in the social media in what was believed to be a protest by some taxi drivers against the action taken by Suvarnabhumi international airport against a taxi driver who refused to use meter and instead demanded a flat charge of 700 from a Japanese passenger for the trip from the airport to Saphan Kwai. The incident was posted on the social media by the Japanese passenger.

The incident attracted many responses from netizens and prompted the airport authority to revoke the operating code of the driver in question who was also banned from picking up passengers at the airport.

MrSukreeCharupoom, director of Land Transport Department’s inspection division, said any individual who saw the anti-Japanese sign or encountered with a cabbie who refused to accept passengers should immediately call 1584 to lodge complaints.

He added that inspectors would be sent out to look for the anti-Japanese sign or notice.

I've a reasonable amount of sympathy for taxi drivers having to operate on what seems to be minimal wages, it must be hard. But then they are driving taxis, not airliners.

This key to these recent reports, is that Thais, not just taxi drivers, seem to be able to operate outside the laws of the country (no-one who knows LOS is surprised by this) and feel morally justified in doing so.

Now Thai taxi drivers want to boycot Japanese passengers according to some tweets today. Here is one photo:

post-15565-0-94402400-1421853689_thumb.jpg

The land transport department issued a warning to all taxi drivers:

http://englishnews.t...y-lose-licences

Cabbies who put up anti-Japanese sign warned they may lose licences

The Land Transport Department has threatened to revoke the operating licences of any taxi drivers found to have put up a sign or a notice in their cars declaring their rejection of Japanese passengers.

An image of the anti-Japanese passengers notice has been posted in the social media in what was believed to be a protest by some taxi drivers against the action taken by Suvarnabhumi international airport against a taxi driver who refused to use meter and instead demanded a flat charge of 700 from a Japanese passenger for the trip from the airport to Saphan Kwai. The incident was posted on the social media by the Japanese passenger.

Mr

Actually, I think the sign is a great idea. It tells you which drivers are waiting to rip you off so that you can avoid them.