Stickman Leaving Thailand Soon

Belem

In the past I've been critical of the site (stickman) -- elements I didn't like about it. Many of those things would be general criticisms I would level against the expat community of Thailand.

But all that aside, I also found the site to be informative and probably the most successful in disseminating genuine info that helped people new (or not so new) to Thailand (who would otherwise be clueless). It's a body of mostly solid work spanning several years -- and that is an impressive feat.

Here's a true story - after my first trip to LoS I came back and enrolled in a class at Wat Thai ( large Wat in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles). The class was held on Sat/Sun morning in the temple basement, and our instructor was an old Thai woman. The class was a motley mix of 2nd gen Thai immigrants born in LA, falangs married to Thais, backpackers, and others. One chap, a dentist, was in a quick relationship with a woman he met on a trip and was "very much in love" (according to him). To my surprise, the teacher told him to please be cautious sending this woman money until he knew her for a significant period of time. THEN - this surprised me most of all -- she wrote the words "stickman bangkok" on the whiteboard, and told the guys in the class to look him up -- in order to learn about pitfalls to avoid. She laughed and said she loved reading stickman. I would've never predicted that.

Very very very true story.

Whatever path you choose, good luck.

• Like 2

I think Sticks appeal is more to those not here than those that are here,

Not many friends of mine who are local in Thailand read him (me self included)

However I am surprised at the number of "Old Hands" who live else where and read Stick every week.

I believe the attraction is in getting the "Local Gossip", being up to date with your fav bar, etc etc,

I'm often surprised how they know more about the bar's than I do, however given I rarely went to them, and they'd read weekly, it's not a surprise.

Now that I no longer live in Thailand, will I start reading Stick?

Or like a number of others has the gloss worn off?

Sounds like another thread

I have been reading Stick´s site since it is existing . The man himself has been of precious assistance in some of my complex female projects in the kingdom , I consider his move as a great loss . As it has been said in the previous post , people living elsewhere might feel more attracted studying his site to stay in touch with the local feeling . I particularly always enjoyed the photos .

And even if they build another 300 condos or malls there is plenty left that makes BKK and Siam in general a great destination , I shall never stop coming along . The only thing that will never happen to me is living permanently in the kingdom , it will spoil the attraction .

I think Sticks appeal is more to those not here than those that are here,

Bingo! Reader patterns change but the majority of the traffic to the site is from outside Thailand.

There is a portion of readers outside the country who wish to stay in touch with what is going on so they tune in once a week to catch up on news and gossip. They may be regular visitors to Thailand or they may not. Another group is those who used to enjoy going out to the bars and the bar industry in general, but have since moved on and their lifestyle has changed. I think reading about what's happening in places they have been to and seeing photos of how things are currently gives them a connection to the place and may help revive nice memories.

More to the point is there going to be a send off? A booze up? If so I'm in - would love a good excuse for a holiday.

Seriously, well done on a good job while you were (are) in LOS, admittedly I stopped reading the "Weekly" years ago - I think I have grown out of the Thai-fever I (we all) had. I do have a look every now and then but it has been years since I have been a frequent visitor there, and most of the places mentioned I don't recognise. We met a few times at Woodstock and Gullivers, and you seem like a decent chap. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing. Yell out if you are ever in Melbourne, I'll let you buy me a beer.

Bingo! Reader patterns change but the majority of the traffic to the site is from outside Thailand.

There is a portion of readers outside the country who wish to stay in touch with what is going on so they tune in once a week to catch up on news and gossip. They may be regular visitors to Thailand or they may not. Another group is those who used to enjoy going out to the bars and the bar industry in general, but have since moved on and their lifestyle has changed. I think reading about what's happening in places they have been to and seeing photos of how things are currently gives them a connection to the place and may help revive nice memories.

Or remind people how much the bar scene has gotten worse.

More to the point is there going to be a send off? A booze up? If so I'm in - would love a good excuse for a holiday.

Seriously, well done on a good job while you were (are) in LOS, admittedly I stopped reading the "Weekly" years ago - I think I have grown out of the Thai-fever I (we all) had. I do have a look every now and then but it has been years since I have been a frequent visitor there, and most of the places mentioned I don't recognise. We met a few times at Woodstock and Gullivers, and you seem like a decent chap. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing. Yell out if you are ever in Melbourne, I'll let you buy me a beer.

He may be settling down in Melbourne.

At least it will be a voluntary disappearance. A new editor of the Bangkok Post decided that Trink represented an image of Thailand that he didn't like. He pulled the plug on Trink without even a word of thank you to a guy who'd written his column for no less than 37 years. No announcement in the paper, no farewell party ... just f'uck off, Trink.

Ironically, that is the same editor that Thaksin got demoted when the Post quoted an international expert on cracks forming in the runways of the new Swampy airport. Sometimes karma does seem to exist.