Stickman Leaving Thailand Soon

Belem

More to the point is there going to be a send off? A booze up? If so I'm in - would love a good excuse for a holiday.

Seriously, well done on a good job while you were (are) in LOS, admittedly I stopped reading the "Weekly" years ago - I think I have grown out of the Thai-fever I (we all) had. I do have a look every now and then but it has been years since I have been a frequent visitor there, and most of the places mentioned I don't recognise. We met a few times at Woodstock and Gullivers, and you seem like a decent chap. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing. Yell out if you are ever in Melbourne, I'll let you buy me a beer.

hey red, just had beers with rusty in a dumpy knock shop this arvo, hope all going well with you, your name was mentioned in dispatches the other day. some funny old tales being retold like the time rusty got drugged and lost all his stuff, we all miss u velly big.

Bingo! Reader patterns change but the majority of the traffic to the site is from outside Thailand.

There is a portion of readers outside the country who wish to stay in touch with what is going on so they tune in once a week to catch up on news and gossip. They may be regular visitors to Thailand or they may not.

Well that just about sums me up perfectly, I've not visited for a couple of years now because of health issues and have come to rely on the weekly blog to keep up to date on what's happening. When I was a regular visitor, some of your articles motivated me to travel to the 'real' Thailand and hit the ground running, I thank you for that. Back in the bad old days when I was recovering from several major heart ops that almost cost my life I visited the site frequently, it reminded me of some of the great times I've had in Thailand and made me even more determined to get well and return someday, I'm sure the memories helped. Personally I'll be sorry to see you leave, Sundays will never be quite the same, I wish you good luck and every success in whatever direction your life will soon be taking you. Seems like it's going to have to be 'hey JC here' on YouTube for future info.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you good luck and every success in whatever direction your life will soon be taking you.

Ditto

Fair play and well done to Stick for producing such a site and weekly column for over a decade. I started reading when, just like Stick at the time, I was an English teacher in Bangkok back in 2001/2. That life and Bangkok is in the past, but I still check up on his weekly every few weeks, and during subsequent trips to BKK with my family, I tried to win the weekly picture competition, sadly to no avail.

I too will miss the Stickman Weekly, and I think the negative comments here are harsh. I felt that the weekly column offered a little for everyone. If you weren’t interested in the nightlife, there would be a Hua Hin or somewhere write up every few weeks or links to another bizarre news story from Pattaya or the like.

Good luck, Mr Stick.

• Like 1

Fully agree Khun Waerth . Although if you read Sticks latest pieces a reader who is unfamiliar with Khrungthep might get the idea that the place has become a meaningless dumphole . Which might be a longterm resident's view but as far as it concerns for example Khun BuBi I enjoy BKK as much as in the past . The only thing I really miss is Clinton Plaza , don't ask me why .

• Like 1

Fully agree Khun Waerth . Although if you read Sticks latest pieces a reader who is unfamiliar with Khrungthep might get the idea that the place has become a meaningless dumphole . Which might be a longterm resident's view but as far as it concerns for example Khun BuBi I enjoy BKK as much as in the past . The only thing I really miss is Clinton Plaza , don't ask me why .

So true. I have been holding back on posting exactly the same. All the doom and gloom. Bar4's profit was up about 40% yr/yr for Jan and the previous months not far behind that. But it seems from reports bar owners are ready for a mass suicide.

And before somone asks it - "If it is so good why don't you drop your prices". Forget it. :mooning:

Cheers,

Mark

I personally almost never read Stickmans site. So I do not know about that. But still, he made something many many people enjoyed reading. He put time and more importantly effort into it and he was loyal to his audience! That is why I reacted the way I reacted.

As to doom and gloom and yesteryear was better ..... that is a human thing.

To people like Flash music from 60ties and 70ties is the best there is. Nowadays many people from my generation (I am 42) will tell you 80ties and 90ties music was the best there ever was. Even some younger people in their teens are complaining on youtube already their was no better music then the music from the nineties. Yesterday was always better than today. I always have to chuckle inside when someone goes into that. I try not to do it myself, but I am sure I have said it on occasions.

As to your bar Mark. Congrats, hope you will be doing well for the coming 20 years! I never really go out anymore so I have only been there once, a years or so ago, so I have no opinion on your bar or the prices. But I wish you all the best!

bkk is becoming a bit like malaysia these days. great roads, flyovers, expressways, easy pass et all. police is checking for drunk driving every fucking night day in day out at multiple multiple locations.

price of drinks in a hooker clip joint? who the fuck cares this is not nanaplaza.com this is thai360 :D

RIP stick I will admit to being a huge fan back in the 90s but these days thaifriendly.com has made everything redundant :p

I don't enjoy ... Thialand like I used to. I mean I still like it, but not as much as I once did. Small things that never used to bother me now do and things I used to enjoy doing and places I used to enjoy visiting I now don't.

Good call. I think so many of us old stagers on here could say the same thing. I know I could. :relieved:

(And yet, still, I'll be jumping on a plane to BKK next month like a pig after truffles... :chili: ... braced for another series of crushing disappointments. :( )

And, while I am on, THANKS, sincerely and especially, to Stickman and KS and a few others like them. Honestly, thanks, fellers. Stuff — ideas, descriptions, tips and warnings, ways to win, imaginings, possibilities — you've made, done, put out there, facilitated and inspired others to do is a part of my fucking life now, and has been for the many years I've enjoyed visiting Thailand. And I am glad of that, gladder than I could ever explain here.

All of these people are friends I've barely, and in some cases never, met. You are friends nonetheless and (in a manly, non-lavender way :nono:), I love you. :hug:

:applause:

jack :help:

Edited to add a bit more shite.

• Like 1