Stickman Leaving Thailand Soon

Belem

Stickman, oh Stickman. The man is a treasure - he is an institution. Never to be knighted, he's chosen to inhabit that shadow world of debauchery, but still. A man can only persevere for so long.

Hang on? He is a treasure isn't he?

Well, it gets a bit complicated at that.

His self-imposed regime of posting his weekly thought bubbles was curiously eclipsed by his excellent photography. His thoughts were curiously mishappen and stunted, but he took the most amazing photographs. You could really marvell at him or the photographs, I'm still undecided.

I personally have a soft spot for Stickman. He enthralled the world, and many enthused Bangkok'ers 'thralled by his miscellaneous gaffes.

Anyhow Stick, this is just good natured ribbing. I really will miss you. I do mind some of the most excellent articles and Editorials. Best of luck.

Old Stickman must have a bit of game. Reporting on nightlife "characters" would be like reporting on the gaming, racing, vice anywhere in the world with all the associated mosbsters, bike gangs, money launderers etc. A tightrope act as I bet a few people would not that be that thrilled about having a light shone in their direction no mater how obique. Not to mention all those angry bargirls who have had their sponsorship deals cancelled due to investigation outcomes. Horses heads and all that. Good luck for the future.

Old Stickman must have a bit of game. Reporting on nightlife "characters" would be like reporting on the gaming, racing, vice anywhere in the world with all the associated mosbsters, bike gangs, money launderers etc. A tightrope act as I bet a few people would not that be that thrilled about having a light shone in their direction no mater how obique. Not to mention all those angry bargirls who have had their sponsorship deals cancelled due to investigation outcomes. Horses heads and all that. Good luck for the future.

Much as I do love Stickman - and I'm as indulgent as the next guy - but what you describe is complete fiction, i.e. unless you really are naive. Fleet of foot, and fanciful of heart - and more cunning than a shithouse rat - would better describe Stick.

The fearless and honest to the core reporting you seem to imagine - well Stick himself might set yourself straight on that - but curiously, I never saw where he ever did. The sort of excellence that you are extolling would certainly be better more truthfully attributed to the likes of Andrew Drummond. http://www.andrew-drummond.com/

Indeed, the suggestion always was that whilst Stick taught as a teacher at prestigious schools - a well respected, and even revered professional post in Thailand's culture, he *befriended* the likes of the mobsters and seedier part of town, indulging favours for advertising revenue. Whilst perfectly normal - and even quite understandable behaviour through the lens of Thai culture - this confounded and bewildered a small contingent of extremist malcontents in particular, whom wanted him lynched through a hateful wave of enmity. Needless to say it got quite nasty as different factions played off each other. The whole sordid history of this is - I am sure something that Stick would rather put behind him - like almost any rational being.

Whilst I could never really hide my disapproval, largely because I've always thought that he could have done so much better for himself - as mentioned he could have been an Andrew Drummond perhaps - except he seemed to impose on himself this idea of selling out. It was never necessary in my view - he could have just chosen go straight down the line - but he didn't.

The bar girl investigations display Stick perhaps in the most poorest lights - I like to think he took this up, because his earlier strategies weren't paying off enough - but I guess that would make me naive. I can't really come to any other conclusion than he had completely abandoned most ethics and morals most intelligent people have, purely for greed. Sad to say, and I wish that weren't true.

The investigations targeted bargirls - despite what is said to typically justify such 'investigations' - largely target a politically weak, poor, at the very low end of Thai heirachy - noone will be prepared to defend them as their rights are so brutally denied. The clients are typically equally weak, often very desperate individuals - forlorn, possibly even suicidal - the so-called result of such 'investigation' ready to push the forsaken over the edge. But not before debiting their accounts of course.

I always felt sick to the core reading of these 'investigations'. I also thought that there would be a good case for future prosecutions, as someone who believes strongly in human rights. As the world changes, and these meta-data laws are being brought in, Stick should be worried about potential prosecution. If it was me - I would be completely fucking paranoid.

Perhaps that describes his move better then any other explanation. Rats leaving sinking ships would be so completely unfair to say about Stickman, and also completely unfair to Thailand. He is not a rat. When all is said, he made his calls, he chose his paths, better than most I suggest. He stuck it out longer than anybody had any right to suggest. He has to live with his so--called Bargirl 'Investigations'.

Thailand isn't a sinking ship either. Call me a fool - but right now I'm investing very heavily in Thailand, even as Stickman slings his hook. But that is all, in all, a completely different discussion.

As said before, Good Luck Stickman.

In a move of fierce opposition to Khun Stick I decided to postpone my emigration back to Europe for full 2 days this very week , reason being Lovely Mum from the Silom Road serious Thai massage shop . She good heart , no buffaloes left on the farm ( Kubota now ) and did not ask for money . Perfect fit . Thai husband gone due to other lady and dink too mut . A drama that calls for social rehabilitation . You tingtong sexy underwear is Mum's preliminary judgement concerning a case of deep and serious love .

I had , gentlemen , another time of my life . Khun Lek from Oscar serious Thai health massage near Patpong swore in my presence that I was the one she has been looking for since Thai husband gone due to hab other lady and dink too mut . A statement that might even be nothing but the full truth because I tend to fork out money too mut at times when i think all is perfect .

I did in the meantime start to consider having engraved on my gravestone the very words " Where you go ? ". In Thai of corse .

I`m back in May , Mum not go customer any more , Lek thinks it over .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...