Nbtc Tightens Registration Regulation For Unregistered Phone Sim-Card Use

Flashermac

The users of around 90 million unregistered prepaid phone SIM cards will not be able to make calls or use data service on mobile phone devices, if they fail to register their SIM cards with their mobile phone network operators by July 31, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) announced yesterday.

The announcement will take effect on February 1, when people with unregistered SIM cards can start registration. This is part of the NBTC's move to serve the government's national security policy.

There are 110 million mobile phone SIM cards in use, of which around 100 million are prepaid SIM cards. Of this total, only around 1.6 million SIM cards were registered by users. The remaining 90 million are unregistered.

Users have to register the cards by showing their ID cards [passport or migration licence if they are foreigners] to their mobile-phone operators within the deadline. If they fail to do so, they will not be able to make calls from their mobile phones or use data services - but they can still receive calls. They will be able to make calls and use data once they register with their mobile phone operators.

The NBTC has enforced its existing regulations requiring mobile phone operators to ask all subscribers of prepaid phone SIM cards to register the cards. However, few consumers cooperated as they were reluctant to provide copies of their ID cards. Some telecom firms faced daily fines for failing to register prepaid users.

NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said all users could start to register with the many channels, including 1,200 branches of KrungThai bank, 8,000 branches of 7-Eleven convenience stores, and branches of Big C, Tesco Lotus super stores plus nationwide branches of all mobile-phone operators.

The NBTC had already made available its "two-shots" application in the middle of last year to facilitate the registration process; mobile phone operators' staff who sell SIM cards will download this application to their mobile phones. They will use the app to take a picture of the SIM card code and the buyer's ID card. The app will then immediately send the data to the NBTC's computer server, connected with the servers of the five telecom operators.

The NBTC server will verify the identity-card information and, if correct, send the verified data back to the telecom operator's server, to activate the SIM card.

The NBTC has paid particular attention to mobile phone SIM registration as a matter of national security over the years. Unregistered SIMs have been used reportedly by terrorists to plant bombs, as well as for fraudulent and illegal businesses.

http://www.nationmul...t-30252420.html

Ninety million folks queueing in front of the 7/11s and the Krungthep Bank . 90.000.000 plus Bubi . My confidence as a naive non-resident in the Thai administration procedures ist endless but would sister Ploen in the Bangrak 7/11 understand if I present my grandfather`s registration book of the Wehrmacht WWII , East Prussia air defense battallion and say it`s my passport ?

There are 110 million mobile phone SIM cards in use, of which around 100 million are prepaid SIM cards. Of this total, only around 1.6 million SIM cards were registered by users. The remaining 90 million are unregistered.

What happened to the other 8.4 Million?

" brilliant way to invalidate paid for sim cards and sell new ones "

As in your other posts, your business accrument and thought process almost verges on genious, this was my first thought too ... :)

Ninety million folks queueing in front of the 7/11s and the Krungthep Bank . 90.000.000 plus Bubi . My confidence as a naive non-resident in the Thai administration procedures ist endless but would sister Ploen in the Bangrak 7/11 understand if I present my grandfather`s registration book of the Wehrmacht WWII , East Prussia air defense battallion and say it`s my passport ?

Probably wouldn't know the difference. Just call you hansum man.

I am perfectly prepared for further in depth investigative questioning from Bangrak 7/11 senior executives ; I would for example explain the uniform as police general moved to inactive post in the Bavarian mountains following confusion due to corruption issues . I do have 2 simcards by the way , is the Thai National SIMcard Registration Authority able to handle such case ?

I do personally think that after tecnical difficulties registering the first 200 cards the idea would silently be buried .