Recovery Of Stolen Funds Following A Court Order.

up2you2

In 2006 I won a Court Order against my builder, who ran away with my deposit.

I am now thinking how it might be best to address this situation, before the ten year time limit to recover these funds expires.

It strikes me that I have two major obstacles to over come.

To physically locate him in Thailand, without him knowing that I am looking for him.

And then secondly to find out if he has assets in his own name, that might be impounded, until he settles this Court Order.

Any help, advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with that. No idea why you have waited this long.

A court order is only a document acknowledging the debt. The question is do you want to spend more money chasing it? I am guessing the amount is not having too much of an effect on your life explaining why you haven't done anything about it in the last 9 years.

My advice....move on.

In 2006 I won a Court Order against my builder, who ran away with my deposit.

I am now thinking how it might be best to address this situation, before the ten year time limit to recover these funds expires.

It strikes me that I have two major obstacles to over come.

To physically locate him in Thailand, without him knowing that I am looking for him.

And then secondly to find out if he has assets in his own name, that might be impounded, until he settles this Court Order.

Any help, advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is owned by a friend, very professional and dependable. Maybe he can help you.

http://thailandpi.com/

Locating someone is really not at all difficult for lawyers.

zzzz put it correctly...if they aren't willing to do the work based on success it might not be worth doing. Asking you to pay upfront says a lot about their confidence in a recovery.

Haven't used lawyers in Thailand in years now but it would always start with payment per hour or case...as you say no thanks and prepare to leave some want to charge for a consultation. Maybe half if you aren't referred by someone. So try to get referred by someone.

Make it clear from the beginning that you aren't interested in/don't need a consultation. All you want to know is what percentage they want of what is recovered.

It will vary from maybe 20% on up to 40%. I would not go more than 25% at the max! Unless you can't find anyone else...

The person Mac mentioned above could be just what you need.

• 9 years later...