What A Heartless Cnut

bust

1425532965171.jpg

The Denpasar police chief poses with Myuran Sukumaran.

The Denpasar police chief has denied a grinning photograph of himself and condemned prisoner Andrew Chan was a heartless selfie.

Bizarre photographs emerged on Indonesian news websites of Senior Commissioner Djoko Hari Utomo with his arm draped around Chan's shoulder as if the two were posing for a happy snap.

1425529319898.jpg

Senior Commissioner Djoko Hari Utomo poses for a photo with Andrew Chan. Photo: Kompas TV

Senior Commissioner Djoko was photographed standing in the aisle of the Wings Air plane that was about to take Chan and Myuran Sukumaran on their last flight before execution.

The Senior Commissioner told Fairfax Media he was trying to raise the spirits of the Australians and had no idea the photo was being taken.

"It was not a selfie moment," he said. He said he was patting the men's shoulders and urging them to "Be tough, be strong, and keep going".

Chan, who appears stunned, is looking at the camera. The photo was leaked to local media.

Sukumaran is also photographed, talking to the police chief.

Surrounding the men are Brimob paramilitary officers wearing balaclavas.

The fact the photos were leaked to media outlets is paradoxical, given the tight security at Cilacap airport.

The airport was in lockdown for the arrival of the men on a Wings Air flight and armed Brimob and police officers even patrolled the perimeter fences in the jungle to stop journalists from taking photos of the men's arrival.

The men, organisers of a heroin smuggling syndicate, were taken by ferry from Cilacap to the Nusakambangan prison island, where they are due to be executed.

Families arrive ahead of executions

The families of the condemned men flew into Yogyakarta, in Central Java, on Thursday on their way to Nusakambangan.

Helen Chan, Andrew's mother, joined her son Michael after flying in from Sydney on Wednesday.

Chinthu and Brintha Sukumaran, Myuran's brother and sister, were on the same plane, with other family members and supporters.

They joined Raji Sukumaran, Myuran's mother.

Michael Chan and Raji Sukumaran had remained in Bali while other families recently returned home to renew their visas and take a brief break from the emotional strain of visiting Kerobokan prison each day.

The families were picked up by consular vehicles on the tarmac and whisked away to Cilacap.

They will be permitted to visit the Bali nine pair on Nusakambangan, where the men are being held in isolation cells.

The Indonesian government is yet to confirm a date for execution, which will be by firing squad.

However, the convicts must be given 72 hours' notice.

I'm glad to see Australians also protested against these executions.

Most of these people are in their 50's, sentanced in their 20's, the false convicition rate for exectuions (i.e. OOOPS, killed the wrong the person) is about 5%. would you gamble your life in a 1:20 chance? So why should they?

So how about Australia shows a little less hypocracy, and starts to complain against ALL executions.

USA List - China and others far higher

Execution List 2015

DATE NUMBER

SINCE 1976 STATE NAME AGE RACE VICTIM RACE METHOD DRUG PROTOCOL YEARS FROM

SENTENCE TO

EXECUTION 1/13/15 1395 GA Andrew Brannan 66 White 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 15 1/15/15 1396 FL Johnny Kormondy 42 White 1 White Lethal Injection 3-drug (midazolam) 21 1/15/15 1397 OK Charles Warner 46 Black 1 Black Lethal Injection 3-drug (midazolam) 17 1/21/15 1398 TX Arnold Prieto 41 Latino 2 Latino, 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 20 1/27/15 1399 GA Warren Hill 54 Black 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 25 1/29/15 1400 TX Robert Ladd 57 Black 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 28 2/4/15 1401 TX Donald Newbury 52 White 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 15 2/11/15 1402 MO Walter Storey 47 White 1 White Lethal Injection 1-drug (pentobarbital) 24

I dunno - I must be a dinosaur. I can;t quite grasp all the weeping for heroin smugglers. If I run a government, and i put up signs everywhere, including Immigration entry cards, saying "We take apprehending drug smugglers seriously, and - if you are caught, you will be executed. So - don't bring drugs into our country" - and you are stupid enough to challenge our laws, then don't cry when we string you up.

That is basically what Singpore does - and I doubt that a whole lot of drugs are smuggled into Singapore by drug mules.

"If you get caught doing the crime, don't cry about doing the time."

Similarly, in Bangkok, in 2010, the Army took over an area around Dindaeng, and roped off, and posted about and broadcast very clearly that the (specified) area was a military-imposed "no-go" area, and that anyone entering that area would be shot and killed. And then some idiots decided to see if the Army was serious, and tried approaching (attacking?) through the "dead" zone - and the Army promptly shot them down - and the Red Shirts started wailing about the incident. 'Seemed to me like a pretty straight forward case of "death by suicide".

MS

• Like 2

This was more about the ghoulish pic than anything and the fact that majority of Australians are against the death penalty.

Not sure a bullet in the chest is an appropriate punishment for stupidity.

Whilst, in principle, I'm agin the death penalty, there are obviously good reasons to be argued for it.

In this case I'm not even worried about the drug smugglers, kill 'em or don't, what about the kids and unfortunates that have their lives ruined as a result of the drugs? How many kids do you have to kill to get the chop yourself?

Sure I'm aware of the idea that some criminals should walk free in order to make sure an innocent man is not punished unjustly.

Sure I know that false conviction rates have been demonstrated and are real, so some innocents have been put to death.

But that's not about the death penalty, that's about safe convictions.

With regard to the original post, these are obviously pics for his Police Photo Album, there isn't a policeman in the whole of SEA that wouldn't take them.

• Like 1

Not sure a bullet in the chest is an appropriate punishment for stupidity.

Stupidity?! You make it sound like what these guys were doing was just a silly mistake! What they were doing ("The men, organisers of a heroin smuggling syndicate") was down to a lot more than just stupidity!

They knew the risks, took their chances and now they're paying the price. Not condoning the police chiefs selfie though.