Koh Tao Murders

bust

Its very strange and looks OBVIOUSLY

like a set up....WTF?

I suppose it might make sense if it's obtaining information for comparison - i.e., if, on the day of the re-enactment, they had the two "suspects" make foot prints on a cleared area of sand with the same consistency as sand at the site, so that they could measure those, make an impression, etc, for comparison with prints previously identified at the time the murders were discovered, and before the area was completely mauled by various other sets of feet... See, I'm a reasonable guy, I'm willing to extend a degree of benefit of the doubt to the police in these cases... Although I'm pretty much persuaded that the guys are innocent, and even if they are guilty, the police behavior thus far is sufficiently bad that they should get off anyway...

Footprints are definately post sand smoothing. Anybodies guess is the reason. My thoughts are it is just a fabricated photo taken for publicity to appear the forensic investigators know what they are doing. All it does though is indicate they don't.

Police 'Never Checked' CCTV After Britons Killed

There are gasps in court as judges hear of a series of apparent blunders in the hours after the two Britons were found dead.

10576380-1-1-762x428.jpg

Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were killed in September

By Sarah McBride in Koh Samui

Police failed to check CCTV images of a boat leaving a pier close to where two British backpackers were found murdered, a Thai court has heard.

There were gasps in the courtroom as Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha revealed a series of apparent blunders in the investigation into the deaths of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the island of Koh Tao.

The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.

"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said.

He went on to admit a series of other apparent blunders in the investigation, which began after the pair were found beaten to death at dawn on 15 September.

rtx1jhci-1-960x720.jpg

Suspects Win Zaw Htun (L) and Zaw Lin ®

It is alleged Ms Witheridge had been raped, and Mr Miller had been left to drown in the sea with severe head wounds.

He said his inquiry had not investigated rumours of an altercation between Ms Witheridge and the son of the Koh Tao headman, a local politician, in the early hours of 15 September.

Neither he nor his officers interviewed the headman's son, who is nicknamed Dodo, who was captured on CCTV in Bangkok later that morning.

He said he did not have the results of DNA samples taken from Dodo, and had not received a report from Bangkok of an interview with the youth.

Police Colonel Cherdpong insisted there was no evidence to suggest that the victims had been followed from the bar where they had been in the early hours.

However, the court heard there was no video evidence of the pair at all after they entered the bar separately between 12.30am and 2am.

The judges were told 200 of the 300 CCTV cameras in the vicinity were not working.

The alleged murder weapon - a wooden garden hoe - was never extensively forensically tested.

The court was told officers had inspected it with a magnifying glass but deemed there were no viable fingerprints on it, and no DNA evidence to collect.

The prosecution spent 12 hours on Wednesday showing CCTV pictures of the victims’ final hours, and also video of the alleged suspects - 22-year-old

Burmese nationals Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun - riding a motorbike and buying alcohol and cigarettes.

But on Thursday the defence team pointed out that the two suspects were not wearing the same clothes as the alleged suspects caught on camera, allegedly running from the scene.

Police Colonel Cherdpong said he did not see that as relevant.

He was also unable to confirm if the DNA samples collected from the scene, or from the bodies of the victims, had ever been sent to Singapore for independent testing.

The trial continues on Thursday and Friday before it will be adjourned for a month.

http://news.sky.com/...-britons-killed

Other than these minor details and irrelevancies, the investigation apparently went according to the investigation rule book. (The rule book was, however, subsequently misplaced and is reported to have been burned accidentally, along with all of the investigators' notes...)

They've found the Thai solution, impeccable. Not even trying to follow reason or standard practice, not even putting up a pretense.

The presumable outcome is that the guys get off on utter lack of evidence and disappear back to Myanmar, where they quickly disappear. diss-uh-peer.

But I see two others: they kill themselves in jail prior to the verdict being reached, out of the sheer guilt of, well, for whatever, they do. And when they do, it's obvious that they must have done it, and everything is sufficiently resolved and there is closure for all but the Brits (parents and gov't - I suspect the Brits have had a few interesting chats with the Thais on this case...), and there's no need, clearly, then to pursue investigation of any other possible suspects that may be identified at some future date.

Or, since this is a new and exciting era with impressive levels of hubris, the "trial" goes on like this for as long as it is scheduled, at the end of which the referee blows his whistle and declares the Burmese guys guilty as established by the overwhelming body of evidence, and they go to prison, where they - well, you know, guilt can be a terrible thing, make a man do things he can't ever undo... The bodies are cremated at the prison.

This trial is going as well as it possible could for these guys. And yet... future looks bleak to me.

YS