German Quality Tourist Gives Everything But Creates Boredom

buffalo_bill

On 10/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, buffalo_bill said:

Gentlemen,

this morning sitting on the terrace of my  Hotel I noted staff from various Soi-hotels assembling on the road obviously heading for a thorough cleanup. A photographer appeared while they were sweeping the environment like silly, but the moment the guy packed his camera all participants immediately disappeared and the only one left was a guy with a hose which kept on spraying water. I had to interrupt my breakfast due to lack of control over my nervous system. It is this and many other events of similar quality which make me come back again and again. Friday I climbed on a Tuktuk and the pilot showed me his wife somewhere in Isaan on Line relaxing in a hammock. I had the honour to talk to her and madame confirmed I am more hansum than husband. These are great moments.

BuBi

The morning time is the best isn't it?  Breakfasting on yum nua, koong ฟ้อน and shrimp congee, I feel like a colonial basking in the sun watching the heathen twist and turn.  Oh well, this hapless situation will turn ultimately into the rest of your day as you watch the unfortunate folk scurry around attempting to make a living.  It's so tempting to get them to line up, yes align and batter some order into them.  But thankfully we don't need to worry, because it's already in motion.  It's high time I put out a new post for 2020 and beyond to tell you what you should be thinking and when, because I've been carefully watching a donkey that is staring in to a news pipe and is unbelievably confounded. 

• 6 months later...

Gentlemen,

I am suffering from a severe headache due to banging my head against the wall since I entered office this morning. Reason being that under normal circumstances I would have arrived today around 13:00 Siam time by Thai923. But hab no plane now.

Normal circumstances would further after arrival povide a decent English breakfast at Soi 8 Viva restaurant followed by a health massage in a subsoi of Soi11 where a signpost outside  promises No Happy Ending. And repeatedly inside. I may duely confirm that in particular my favorite masseuse obviously does not speak English although looking back at a long career at Soi 4. Absolutely great, you got to find these places. A brilliant start into the day and after go sssaleep.

Now bang head again.

Mr baa, I look at your photo and my eyes are full of tears. Next scheduled arrival is October the 9th but the very second  Thai Airways resume activities earlier  I shall saddle the horses. I have paid for 2 tickets already and pray for TG´s survival anyway.

I'm scheduled to touch down at Swampypoom on 23 August or so.

I screwed up and did nonrefundable unchangeable hotel reservations, and forgot to put trip insurance on them.  Probably wouldn't have done any good; the indications are that everyone in the industry is trying to call COVID-19 a "force majeur" (sp?) event, and duck out on paying claims.  I'm hoping that the world comes to its senses before I'm supposed to go wheels-up on the first leg.

Gentlemen, I note that a friend of mine who is GM of a major place at Sukh starts promoting his rooftop restaurant. Could this be a sign of better times to come?

The most lovely Pam seems to be desparately  longing for my presence like never before, probably out of cash. Under current circumstances I consider sailing the Mekong upstream at night, take the train from Nongkai and hide somewhere in Soi 4. I would not even be able to overstay a visa because I don´t have one.

Your constructive comments are welcome.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, baa99 said:

Are you ready for a 2 week quarantine? :deal:

I'm waiting to see what happens.  If the quarantine requirement is still in place as of a few days before I'm scheduled to travel, I'm going to have to call the airline and reschedule, and then call the hotel and see if I can work a deal with them, based on being a very good customer for many years.  (It can't hurt to try.  Worst that can happen is they say "No", and I suspect that may depend on who I talk to.)

On the other hand, if the government figures out just how much tourism revenue they are losing because of the quarantine requirement, they may come to their senses, remove that requirement, and things will go back to normal.

My crystal ball is out of order these days.