German Quality Tourist Gives Everything But Creates Boredom

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

in preparation of my forthcoming next visit later this week I may ask the community for clarification on the following matter : most lovely Pam from Lao insists on a visit of the Vientiane building site where according to her latest news Bubi Towers are under construction . I shall under no earthly circumstances ever climb on a Thai long distance bus again and therefore shall use air transport return within one day . There are bad news here and there that falangs on a day trip to Lao might face visa related difficulties at whichever immigration . Thank you for encouraging news.

I've always done it the other way, short, one or two day trips to Thailand whilst residing in Vientiane. I did get asked once, on entry to Thailand where was I going? but they then twigged I was ordinarily resident in Laos and so, not a visa runner.

My own humble opinion, is that by air, returning to BKK, you'll get another visa waiver on entry at the airport no problems. My understanding is that the Thai Authorities are only concerned about visa runners at land based entry points.

At Vientiane airport, I think the visa is $30 US on arrival and it can be a wait. I have in the past, paid a little more, to my Bangkok Hotel Concierge, to get me a Laos Visa, in Bkk and so waltz through Laos formalities, like a minor dignitary.

Lucky Bastard :)

Spend a couple o days in Vientiane, nice place :)

Gentlemen,

with utmost pleasure I did note yesterday that the people changing money at the BTS station would now be able to sell you a ticket . What a great improvement, I guess they either detected a genius internally or had McKinsey in for a research .

Further, I have been greeted with a smile in my standard breakfast venture ViVa Soi 4 twice already . I still tend to believe they think I am somebody else.

This looks all very good. Weather included.

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

I am just about to buy my own tuktuk for intra-urban transportation in Khrungthep. These bastards are asking an outright 100 Baht for whichever short distance and if you offer 70 they leave. This also happens when lovely Pam from Lao talks to them while I am hiding in the shadows. I am seriously dissatisfied.

I gave up on Tukyuks many years ago, though I am not game enough to use a bikieboy alternately.

For me walking is a good option in order to gain distance, or metered Taxis, equivalent to Tuktuk and aircon and illusion of sophistication.

• 2 weeks later...