Bandwidth

Looking into ways to increase bandwidth on my computer for free. I'm using 3 broadband via a wifi router box. I have seen mention on the internet of something called group policy editor, but couldn't find it on my computer, later found out it only applies to XP PRO and as I have windows 7 that was no good.

There may well be many ways, just looking for the easiest ... Any suggestions ...

If the computer connects to your router via Wi-Fi then it's likely limited to about 30-40Mbps depending on signal strength and type of connection b,a,g,n,ac.

If you connect by cable to the router then it will be either 100Mbps or 1000Mbps (ish).

Your 3BB if a fibre connection will be somewhere between 30 or 120Mbps so it makes sense to use a cable connection where possible. Especially if you want to stream video/tv etc.

Unless the computer has been horribly played with I can't image what settings you could change that make much difference.

The available bandwidth between you and devices on your LAN is a different animal to the bandwidth you get from your isp.

Or am I missing something here?

Yes of course you are correct the computer hard wired is the best option for speed of data transfer.

Perhaps i'm going in the wrong direction here ... stop me if i'm wasting my time and getting this all wrong and mixed up

From what I can find out on the internet, windows 7 apparently reserves 20% percent of the current bandwdth available, and by default will show " not configured" in something called limit reserveable bandwidth, enabling and setting to 0% will give you this extra 20%

Problem is I can't find how to get into this setting on my computer, anyway just experimenting ........

Thanks for finding this ..... As I have the home premium version of windows 7, I went for the registry tweak, which I have downloaded and confirmed in the change of registry.