Airport Taxi Update

cavanami

"no tourist arriving in Khrungthep shall enter a conflict with a Thai taxi driver once this subject confiscates the paper and puts it in his pocket . neither would any average tourist proceed with wasting his holiday time trying to win a war with a Thai taxi driver over maybe 150 Baht surcharge , in case tourist realises that he paid too much , by ringing the tourist police or whomever ."

Precisely - tourist knows he's being scammed, but evaluates the time, effort and stress of combatting this scam, against some small dollars and decides to succumb to scam, for the sake of equanimity.

Taxi driver, knows from experience, that 95% of Farang morons pay much higher taxi prices in their home country and will usually cave, when confronted with a fare that is small in comparison with that paid in Farangland. This means profit increase for Taxi drive, sometimes very big.

Result:

Tourist thinks most Thai people are scum sucking con artists, who will rip off anyone and smile all the way to the bank. Tourist knows there are good ones out there, but will struggle to find them, eventually writing off the increased cost of the holiday, due to paying Farang prices, as unavoidable because every Thai they meet rips them off.

Taxi driver thinks 95% of Farangs are morons.

Tourist Industry organisations lie about how wonderful every thing in Thailand is. Politicians when confronted, are desperate to save face, not admitting failings in Thai character, instead shifting focus to Farangs being unable to understand Thainess, a common trait of morons.

Cynical internet posters write scathing, or attempt to write scathing, missives about these goings on.

what's the fuss? first thing on arrival you simply [removed - JR]. or you could [removed - JR], which will ultimately culminate in [removed - JR].

done. resolution. unless of course [removed - JR] in response to your [removed - JR] which would unfortunately lead to [removed - JR].

got it? :)

1120officespace3.gif

If the Thai police and/or Army wants to fix the taxi mess at Swampy, have a few coppers out by the taxis! Easy to walk over and have a chat. Of course, the Thai News last night showed the farang FAMILY that the taxi just dumped out on the expressway!

It would be just wonderful for me to get dumped out on the roadway at 1AM in the morning with my three large/heavy suitcases, NOT!!!

Not quite as easy as you make it out to be, is it :dunno:

...and I should WASTE my time as if the coppers will do anything...get real...TIT and this is the way it is.

Looking at me, I'd probably be the last person anyone would suspect of carrying a large amount of money. Also, they would have to guess which day and airline I was coming in on. I don't think that I'll be any more specific than sometime in May.

As an experienced traveler, I travel lite with mostly carry on luggage. If my flight arrives early, I

take the train but most of the time, my flight from the US arrives late and by the time, I get through immigration, it is near midnight which requires me to take a taxi into town. I always tell the driver

that I have been to Bangkok many many times which is true and they think twice in scamming me.

Taxi into Bangkok should be in the 400 baht range, including the 75 bath highway toll and 50 baht

surcharge!

" Taxi into Bangkok should be in the 400 baht range, including the 75 bath highway toll and 50 baht surcharge! "

525 baht, interesting how everyone would go about paying this amount, what i'm thinking of is would you gve 600 and say keep the change, or give more. ( For simplicity make the assumtion the driver has not asked for the toll money in advance.) Or put it anther way, at what amount, whilst using a taxi, would you wait for the change or let it go as a tip, if you do of course .....