Cockpit Voice Tape Studied In Airbus Crash; Nyt Says Pilot Locked Out

Flashermac

" Many people are now permanently spreading clever thoughts all over the place, they should have come forward with their ideas a week earlier. "

How true, but would anyone have seriously taken any notice before .....

" This includes multiple thorough screenings of the person´s mental status ."

Routers report :

The pilot who appears to have deliberately crashed a plane carrying 149 others into the French Alps received psychiatric treatment for a ''serious depressive episode'' six years ago

I think not, unfortunately it takes such a real life and unexpected scenario such as this to focus attention.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearest to this would be autopilot, but of course that can be overwritten by pilots. I don't think there would be anything that would be full proof. Whatever mode of transport you choose as a passenger, your life is in the hands of that driver, should he decided to kill himself and you ...

Well it takes working out the logic detail and all the what-if's but I'd say the tech does exist. Military jets, well some, have terrain following radar. Dial up a height above ground, punch Mach 1 and get bounced across the hill tops, has been well tested in some rugged parts of the world and has allowed for some impressive stuff, think hands off 200 foot precision bombing runs at close to supersonic speed. Set something that prevents an aircraft descending below the desired height unless on an actual approach, locked to an ILS as an example but could be other ways. It's never going to be foolproof though some would say anything is better than nothing.

From what I hear it seems the co-pilot was "of questionable mental stability" so it seems the process needs rethinking if the doc who signed him off work didn't have to notify his employer as seems to have been the case.

From what I hear it seems the co-pilot was "of questionable mental stability" so it seems the process needs rethinking if the doc who signed him off work didn't have to notify his employer as seems to have been the case.

The employer due to German law has no way to find out about an employees health condition , even if he is signed off for months . Neither a doctor would be allowed to report anywhere . Under discussion now of course .