Should I Root My Phone

gawguy

I can't stand all this app bloat. I want to get rid of so much of it. I only want to run a few apps like Skype, Youtube etc. Serious stuff not games or facebook or any of those.

I see reference to connecting the phone to computer in the root process. What does that accomplish? What if there is breakdown along the way, like slow internet or dropped connection on the computer?

Kingo Android Root is praised by CNet. How about that or what did you use? What are the chances of bricking a phone.

With the slow phone I returned I was able to drag apps to top of screen into a trash can. I dragged "games" to top of screen with this one (Android 4.4.4) and ended up with another one. Tried again and now I have 3 game icons on my first page. This is the kind of thing I want to clean up.

I'm used to laptops and getting rid of what I don't want. I want the phone to more or less be a computer so I can have some control.

Be afraid, be very afraid. If you don;t fully understand what rooting an Android phone is about I would suggest leaving it to those who understand a flash disk from a slipped disc. The potential for bricking your phone is high in some cases. In the case of your Samsung Galaxy it has enough power to do all you need and provided not much is running in the background you will hardly notice. There are always possibilities for rooted phones to run slower also.

If you really want to remove apps and don't know how then I suggest either a few minutes at the shop having the girl explain how to do it or perhaps even an evening with your fille du jour who will likely know much more about it, Thai girls being almost born to them these days it seems.

Be afraid, be very afraid. If you don;t fully understand what rooting an Android phone is about I would suggest leaving it to those who understand a flash disk from a slipped disc. The potential for bricking your phone is high in some cases. In the case of your Samsung Galaxy it has enough power to do all you need and provided not much is running in the background you will hardly notice. There are always possibilities for rooted phones to run slower also.

If you really want to remove apps and don't know how then I suggest either a few minutes at the shop having the girl explain how to do it or perhaps even an evening with your fille du jour who will likely know much more about it, Thai girls being almost born to them these days it seems.

The App Manager might let me remove apps I have installed, but I assume all the crap comes with the phone is protected. Really unfortunate.

You need one of these...and be done with it!

Funny you should mention that. Actually I have one at home USA. Old phone with button keypad. It's so much more reliable than the electronic ones I've had. Never breaks up. And it doesn't broadcast, like cordless phones. I sometimes hear my neighbors taking on their phones on my wireless headphones. And of course you can make calls from your home number during power outages. Best in emergencies. But I usually use my cordless phones.

• Like 1

I finally rooted two of my Samsungs a few days ago. Sick of the bloat ware I never use and need to update regularly and crap battery life.

Now after installing Titanium I got a couple of devices I like again and the battery life seems to have tripled. Definitely find an appropriate root guide for your model and get feedback that it works before starting.

Whole root process took less than 10 minutes and devices / apps/ data as before rooting.

I finally rooted two of my Samsungs a few days ago. Sick of the bloat ware I never use and need to update regularly and crap battery life.

Now after installing Titanium I got a couple of devices I like again and the battery life seems to have tripled. Definitely find an appropriate root guide for your model and get feedback that it works before starting.

Whole root process took less than 10 minutes and devices / apps/ data as before rooting.

This is an interesting development, having someone tell me to go ahead and root, after receiving so many dire warnings! Thanks Palatkik and I'm glad to know things went so well for you. I love the result as you describe it. I am just at the stage now I am getting going well as a smart phone newbie. I've installed the apps I needed and I am getting familiar with how to use them. The smart phone is not my primary device for doing what I need to do, but it is critical back up to my laptop, which is ailing. I was hit by a couple of laptop failures at the same time, the worst possible time, but thankfully one came back to life like those bots in the movies - they might not have an arm for awhile, but they struggle along. At that time I had the smart phone but was just figuring it out.

There were about 4 really bad days when all waking hours were lived in a swamp of frustration. I had a sticky problem at home that I needed to see resolved, which needed working laptops or phones to deal with it. Today is really my first day out of the swamp. The phone is running well, not slow. The home problem is fixed. One laptop is working pretty well. I have a life again.

I'm not going to root now, but I'm a guy who has always done lots of nerd work, thousands of hours, on the laptops and I'm looking forward to the day to start rooting phones.

Thank you.

Gaw Guy

BTW: When you talk about Titanum do you mean "Appcelerator Titanium" or "Titanium Backup" ??