Windows 10, $149 Laptops. Could This Be True?

gawguy

Came across this long and detailed article called:

Windows 10: release date, price, news and features

I am a happy Win 7 user and ever since Win 8 came out I have been waiting for it to go away, and now it will, according to this article which seems pretty credible. I was particularly struck by the notion of what I call a "disposable laptop", which means it is so cheap you don't have to worry about it, just get another one: "Earlier this month, DigiTimes reported that Microsoft aims to take on Chromebooks in partnering with two different companies to create budget-friendly Windows 10 laptops. The would-be, low-cost machines will reportedly be priced as low as $149 and run on Intel's Bay Trail-generation Atom chips."

What do you make of this? If something like this ran well it would be great. I bet it would not come with keyboard, would be something like "Laptop $149. Keyboard $139"

Here's the article I found very interesting, although it may be old news to you.

Being a happy Windows user (don't throw those shoes at me! :spin: ) and a new smart phone user, I'm also wondering about Windows phones. Anyone using one, how is it, can you run MS Works type app?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

I'm also wondering about Windows phones. Anyone using one,

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Those that have Apple phones like them.

Most smart phones are Android (Google) - and the apps are available at the Google Play Store.

Windows phones are few and far between. And there are apps. But many selectively absent for many uses that Anddroid and Apple provide.

With the introduction of Windows 10 - will be interesting if Windows phones expand past the 3% market share.

• 1 month later...

This must be Microsofts answer to the Chromebook that is being made by several manufacturers. Apple has all of the pieces and they will probably come out with their answer.

I bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2 Model CB35-B3340) and love it. The price was $309 from Amazon plus what I paid to have my US mail drop ship it over. It runs on a version of Google Chrome and you get two years of 100GB google cloud. It took me a while to used to the idea of working only through a browser with files stored on a cloud but a lot of applications are available for online use; MS Office and Photoshop among others. The Chromebook is particularly useful if you like to work with photos or are on the road.

I asked about Chromebooks locally. The Power Buy and Power Mall people know what a Chromebook is but tell me that they are not available in Thailand

Maybe Chromebooks are the future.