Did Nasa Mistakenly Create A Warp Field?

waerth

If this is anywhere close to the truth this is really exiting news! A major breakthrough.

http://sputniknews.com/us/20150425/1021360503.html

Space geeks are freaking out because NASA may have accidentally discovered a warp field, an avenue down which spaceships can travel faster than the speed of light – something that, to date, has only existed in science fiction.

Meanwhile, in the lab, NASA and other space programs were experimenting with the EmDrive, a thrust engine that would be able to move in space without the need for fuel.

According to posts on NASASpaceFlight.com, a website devoted to the engineering side of space news, when lasers were fired through the EmDrive’s resonance chamber, some of the beams appeared to travel faster than the speed of light.

If that’s true, it would mean that the EmDrive is producing a warp field or bubble.

One of the current satellites I am working with is going to GEO orbit from launch orbit using electric propulsion. or ION drive, note these electric propulsion or ION Drives have been around a long time, we're one of the first commercial satellites or first, though that are going from launch orbit to GEO - the savings in launch fuel and payload is huge. Russians had been the leaders in this field.

http://forum.nasaspa...opic=36313.1860

Kong, you should have a look at this, so you can explain what this means, to folk like me...

"Thus if you have an initial velocity of say 0.01c towards Alpha Centauri with a warp factor of 1,000, your effective velocity becomes 10c while the warp-drive is engaged."

Bugger off I am on Vacation and brain is in "Meh" mode

Do y'all remember the announcement by a group at CERN of faster than light discovery? It turned out to be a loose connection on a fiber optic cable, ie, experimental error.

I'll wait for the peer reviewed article. :easter:

Bugger off I am on Vacation and brain is in "Meh" mode

I'd be indebted if you could have a look, when you're over the vacation, it all looks like it's possible to me, but I lack the actual education, to be confident that it's not a clever jape.

:)

Do y'all remember the announcement by a group at CERN of faster than light discovery? It turned out to be a loose connection on a fiber optic cable, ie, experimental error.

I'll wait for the peer reviewed article. :easter:

It can still be an error off course. But they are more and more ruling that out. As they re-review it. It is a very exciting thing. As it hints at the fact that many things we took for certain with regards to physics might have to be retaught when it is true (not warp but the way the EM drive works, which should theoretically be not possible).

Very short from the way I understand it. The Em drive is supposed to generate thrust from power (electricity) alone. Which is theoretically impossible. But in previous tests and in this test it actually does exactly that. And while testing it they found what looked like small warp bubbles being generated.

Basically if everything gets "verified" by peer review etc. Than it is one of the most exciting discoveries ever as it will mean that some physics laws are disproven.