Here's One - "why I Choose To Wear A Hijab"

Coss

read comment after story.

NADA TAWFEEK

Last updated 08:56, May 4 2015

1430691145436.jpg

Supplied

Nada Tawfeek says the hijab is "a weapon against my own vanity".

OPINION:

In the midst of debate about religious dress, Nada Tawfeek explains why she chooses to wear a hijab.

Why do I wear hijab? The reason is simple. I am a Muslim woman, I choose to be a Muslim every day. I believe in Allah (the Arabic word for God) and I sense his presence in every aspect of my life.

I sense Allah during my morning walks, in the overwhelming beauty of the sunrise, I sense him in the richness and softness of avocados and dates (my favorite foods), I sense his love in the nourishment of water, in my mother's smile and in the peace that is in my heart.

I believe that in the Quran, Allah has commanded the believing women to cover their bodies and hair "so that they may be known and not harmed". I have learnt through experience that Allah's commands are never a burden and through their wisdom our hearts may be purified.

The hijab is a weapon against my own vanity. It is a reminder every day before I leave the house that my outer beauty is not my priority.

My hijab is a shield against the constant and consistent objectification and sexualisation of women's outer beauty for profitable ends. I believe that wearing a hijab does not make me any better or worse than a woman who does not wear a hijab, because it isn't the outer attire that elevates us, but the state of our hearts and women should have the freedom to cover or uncover as they deem appropriate.

The Arabic word for woman stems from the word "rahm" which is the Arabic and Hebrew word for womb and it is the source of the word "Rahmah", meaning mercy. In my personal world view, I, as a woman, am here to bring Rahmah to the world, and my hijab is to not allow vanity to distract others or me from that purpose.

As a poet from the distant past wrote: "oh you with budlike mouth, why keep hiding your face like flirting girls?" She laughed and said; "unlike the beauties of your world, in the veil I am seen but without it I am hidden".

Nada Tawfeek is a Christchurch Muslim who was recently detained for two hours at Brisbane Airport while wearing her hijab.

So how do you explain the makeup?

• Like 1

And I forgot to add, if the story is correct and she chooses to "hide her beauty" not only what about her makeup,,,

but what about plucking the mono brow, what about shaving the jowls ?

even the ones that only show a slit revealing their eyes and eyes only, still have brows plucked within a millimetre of their lives and eye makeup that's worth more than gold by weight.

"Vanity thy name is Woman" is in play, I would think (thought not agree with the practise) that muslims have a handle on this.