The Prediction Thread

Coss

Not very accurate Mekong, no mention of Fish and Chips, bundling it into hot food doesn't serve it justice

Our shopping bags made from hemp! String bags, now very "in"

Bottles we got money for returning - oddly Oz has just started that again

Even in the cities we all had rain water tanks in the backyards to minimize water use.

FARK - this is getting embarrassing,  I've turned green

The Post states “In the 60’s and 70’s” and back then the o LT take away hot food was either Chippie Diner, a Chinese or a Curry, all served in newspaper. Wimpy was an eat in Burger Bar, McDonalds and Kebabs didn’t make it up north till late 70’s 

The money back on bottles, stupid shop near us used to keep empties outside, just walked up, grabbed a handful and walked in and got cash back in them, spent cash on a 1/4 of Midget Gems haha.

Water Butts in back garden., Check

Sawdust on butchers shop floor, Check

We didn’t do strips of plastic for fly screens, not many flies about and just smacked them with a newspaper, making sure it wasn’t the ones with hit Dads Fish Supper

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Batteries, they do not make electricity – they store electricity produced elsewhere, primarily by coal, uranium, natural gas-powered plants, or diesel-fueled generators.  So, to say an EV is a zero-emission vehicle is not at all valid.

Also, since forty percent of the electricity generated in the U.S. is from coal-fired plants, it follows that forty percent of the EVs on the road are coal-powered, do you see?"

But that is not half of it.  For those of you excited about electric cars and a green revolution, I want you to take a closer look at batteries and also windmills and solar panels. 

A typical EV battery weighs one thousand pounds, about the size of a travel trunk.  It contains twenty-five pounds of lithium, sixty pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum, steel, and plastic. Inside are over 6,000 individual lithium-ion cells.

To manufacture each EV auto battery, you must process 25,000 pounds of brine for the lithium, 30,000 pounds of ore for the cobalt, 5,000 pounds of ore for the nickel, and 25,000 pounds of ore for copper. All told, you dig up 500,000 pounds of the earth's crust for one  battery."

The main problem with solar arrays is the chemicals needed to process silicate into the silicon used in the panels. To make pure enough silicon requires processing it with hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid, hydrogen fluoride, trichloroethane, and acetone. In addition, they also need gallium, arsenide, copper-indium-gallium- diselenide, and cadmium-telluride, which also are highly toxic. Silicon dust is a hazard to the workers, and the panels cannot be recycled.

Windmills are the ultimate in embedded costs and environmental destruction. Each weighs 1688 tons (the equivalent of 23 houses) and contains 1300 tons of concrete, 295 tons of steel, 48 tons of iron, 24 tons of fiberglass, and the hard to extract rare earths neodymium, praseodymium, and dysprosium. Each blade weighs 81,000 pounds and will last 15 to 20 years, at which time it must be replaced. We cannot recycle used blades.

There may be a place for these technologies, but you must look beyond the myth of zero emissions.  

"Going Green" may sound like the Utopian ideal but when you look at the hidden and embedded costs realistically with an open mind, you can see that Going Green is more destructive to the Earth's environment than meets the eye, for sure.

I'm not opposed to mining ,electric vehicles, wind or solar. But showing the reality of the situation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mekong said:

The money back on bottles, stupid shop near us used to keep empties outside, just walked up, grabbed a handful and walked in and got cash back in them,

Mekong, just came across this. Makes me feel guilty no joke. The man I cheated died maybe 40 years ago , what a nice person he was but now there is nothing I could do about it . Really did make me feel bad whenever it came on my mind. As it does now I may say. Some things you have done are simply unforgivable.