Difference Between Line And Skype

gawguy

A friend of mine seems to like Line which came pre-installed on my Samsung phone.

I watched a little youtube vid about Line and am wondering if it about the same as Skype, except that Line is free and has a goofy Japanese-girl interface? Does anybody use it? How do they make their money? When they say free, I wonder what info of mine they are selling...

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Skype is free too. They are most often using geo location to push ads to you, get you to buy emoticons, very popular in thailand.

So... They want bank account info to register? Or do they ask you for it when you want to buy something? The vid I saw shows that they have thousands of stickers you can use to communicate - "a sticker is worth a thousand words" kind of thing. I got the impression that they are free (and who has time to look thru thousands of them anyway?) Plenty of goofy little Japanese, Korean and Thai girls I guess.) What is the appeal for us? When I say "us", I don't know about you but I'm a serious, older type.

(I'm a bit new to smart phones, but I finally got one and I have the overall feel: Smart phones are for girls. They take selfie, selfie, selfie every 3 minutes to check their makeup.)

Thanks for your input. What else do I need to know?

GG

Thanks for your input. What else do I need to know?

GG

I my understanding is they both use VOIP technology which means you need data usage in your phone or at least a wi-fi connection.

Some of the main carriers are now using it to offer cheaper International call rates. Not to different to those calling cards. In Australia under my plan I can call Thailand free for 100 mins a month........but sometimes takes me 10 calls to connect through. Quality is never the same with either LINE or Viber but it seems to be the way these days.